Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

british para helmet

Article about: Hi there I,m very new to this hobby and would like to start my collection with a ww2 British para helmet , I have found one for sale which is defenetly an original ,with a line made by BMB i

?

Default british para helmet

Hi there
    I,m very new to this hobby and would like to start my collection with a ww2 British para helmet , I have found one for sale which is defenetly an original ,with a line made by BMB in1942,the problem is that the liner is damaged beyond repair,there is no chinstrap, and the shell is not marked or at least the mark is not visible ,Also the shell has been repainted twice at least as after the textured paint a kind of tan was applied and on it a sort of dark green (glossy) inside the shell is textured very matt green paint ( the original) ,I,m afraid I have no photos of it as I don,t own it, originally the liner was held in place by a rim with a leather lace running through it ,this rim is fixed in place by four rivets, is it worth buying to restore maybe , and if yes any clue of what I should pay for it?
    Thanking you in advance
    Tony

You really need to try and get some pics of it if you can.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

if the aluminum liner band is held in place by 4 rivets its not a para helmet, it will be a dispatch riders shell

Have a look at this fantastic site. It gives a lot of information, even if you do not speak/read french. I think Lee has a point.
    .: World War Helmets - Casque Mark I DR :. .: World War Helmets - Casque Mark II AT :.

Notice the make and distinct position of the rivets. Look and learn!

Cheers,
    Emile

?

I do not think the liner band is aluminium ,I think it,s galvanised steel, and the shell is made of a thick gauge steel as it,s quite heavy,also the guy has a 1965 british military parachute for sale,he said that they,s been in the family for years,the rivets in questions are not pop rivets but the ones that needs hammering in place, also the rim is crimped outwards not inwards (like that of a german helmet)

?

hi Emile
    I have looked at the site you suggested and I,m positively sure that it,s one of those ,will it be worthwhile getting it ,I think hes asking a lot at 80 euros
    Thanks
    Tony

- - ------- - -

I also want to emphasise that there is no visible makers marks on the shell

- - ------- - -

I also want to emphasise that there is no visible makers marks on the shell

Hi Tony,

Ask him for detailed pics or take some yourself and show them. What do you mean by "the rim is crimped outwards"?

Cheers,
    Emile

Hello Tony,

Does it look a bit like this?

The outwardly turned rim supports (or supported) a fibre rim. These fibre rim DR helmets (Despatch Rider) are early variants. Quite rare. You may on to something. The 1942 liner fits the time period. Might be a dud though!

british para helmet

I am curious!

Cheers,
    Emile

BTW I took this pic of the internet. It is labeled "Helmet Bank". I just realised this picture is property of our member Tinlid. Thanks for borrowing.

80 euros is relatively cheap for a British para helmet, post war helmets usually fetch more than that, however it does depend on whether it is original or messed with and the condition. Pictures are needed.

?

Hi and thanks for all the interest and help you are giving,yes the shell rim is folded outwards as if to support something but that fibre rim is missing ,and the liner is beyond repair plus there is no chinstrap and to top it all I have one photo of it but do not know how to put it here,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast