Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

British Para Helmet Help

Article about: Hi In return for a small favour the following was thrust into my hand in a carrier bag ... 'Been in the loft for years'. Can you date is? The BMB liner is dated 1943 (I've see quite a few DR

?

Default British Para Helmet Help

Hi

In return for a small favour the following was thrust into my hand in a carrier bag ... 'Been in the loft for years'.

Can you date is? The BMB liner is dated 1943 (I've see quite a few DR helmets before)
    I know a bit about helmets but never really looked at Airbourne as I never expected to ever own one!

Thanks, in advance

British Para Helmet HelpBritish Para Helmet HelpBritish Para Helmet HelpBritish Para Helmet HelpBritish Para Helmet HelpBritish Para Helmet HelpBritish Para Helmet Help

Video here 1943 Airbournr - YouTube

It appears to match those that were Post war reused by the Danish or Belgians.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Interesting, thanks - "Oster" could be a Belgian name??

Does anyone have photos of the earlier Para helmet to show where the straps/liner attach to the rim?
    It's just that there are too many holes in the rim and I want to understand why.

I have a nice DR example and none of the holes line up with these holes.

It has nothing to do with the fact it is a 7 3/4??

?

The liner is a nice early one being dated 43, the steel band has blue paint on, which might suggest it has been taken from another helmet as there is no blue paint anywhere else.
    Those extra holes do no correspond with any other fittings on an HSAT or HSDR, HSRAC.
    Probably fitted to it by someone doing re-enacting maybe?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Para Helmet Help   British Para Helmet Help  

British Para Helmet Help   British Para Helmet Help  

British Para Helmet Help   British Para Helmet Help  

hi reg and welcome to the forum does the shell have a depression in the crown for a redundant liner stud or maybe a nut and bolt to determine if this is the mk1 or mk11 RAC shell as i cant tell from the pictures ,im intrigued by the lower soft aluminium rivits too ,i take it the thick overpaint is covering the other side ?my guess is to try and hide a mutitude of sins ,im also wondering what has caused the rim to split ,perhaps some heavy handed alterations ,the liner band certainly shows some fiddling about ,id also like to see more of the inside paintwork it looks to have a camo finish
    regards james