Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

british police mk11

Article about: just to share my first police helmet example and the type ive been after for a very long time so am pleased to find one ,the chinstrap has a number 232 i would like clarification on what thi

great stuff leon and thanks for the nice compliments mate as for the numbers interesting to hear of your four digits ,there is always something new to learn in this collecting game

?

Very nice James as previously Stated join the Police Mk II club I have noticed as of late that Mk II helmet prices seem to be on the rise it is all this new compitition not mentioning any names Jake, Leon,and James LOL.

Regards Mark
    Always on the look out for WW II Canadian Helmets and Cam nets to add to my collection.

Found a Canadian Mk II Medics Helmet and yes I know they are about as rare as hens teeth !!!!!

many thanks mark its most probably a bidding war and we dont even realise it i say lock them all up and throw away the key

Good morning gents,

I didn't realise there was a club forming here and it looks like I am already a member

Of all the home front helmets there seems to be something about these that somehow brings one eventually to most helmet collections!

I tend to agree that any 3 or 4 digit number added by the owner is very likely to be his "collar" or "shoulder" number used to mark his own kit just like the last four digits of a soldiers regimental number.

Here are a couple of images of my MkII police "bowler".

Regards

MarkClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Police MKII strap mount mark.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	740744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Police MKII outer.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	740745Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Police MKII MM.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	740746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Police MKII inner.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	740747Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Police MKII brim mark.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	740748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Police liner size.jpg 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	740749

hi watchdog ,you have a nice example and thanks for sharing ,to be honest if i saw an example like yours for sale i wouldnt have the confidence to buy purely on the authenticity of the stencilling ,these police helmets are a new learning curve for me ,can the "POLICE" be easily applied post war ,ps i am in no way saying yours isn't genuine i just want to learn more on the them cheers james

?

Hi James for the most part I think the stenciling on any CD helmet must be matched to the wear and patina on the shell ie... crazing, nicks, scuffs and scratches there appears to be a little bit of ghosting on the letters on this example.

Regards Mark
    Always on the look out for WW II Canadian Helmets and Cam nets to add to my collection.

Found a Canadian Mk II Medics Helmet and yes I know they are about as rare as hens teeth !!!!!

Here's a picture of the "digits and tag" on my one in case you didn't see them in my thread. Leon.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 007.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	741185Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 006.jpg 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	741186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	741187
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

thanks for the extra info mark forgive my ignorance but is ghosting of the stencilling a good thing or bad ? and nice to see your numbering in more detail for comparison leon cheers james

?

Hi James to me it looks like the lettering on this example has been sprayed on as it appears there is some over spray from wear the paint has managed to get between the stencil and the helmet this would cause some concern for me if I was looking to purchase this example for my collection .
    I can not say how the paint was applied on British War time issued helmets but if it was a Canadian example I would have some reservations

Regards Mark

thanks mark ,you have confirmed my initial thoughts

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast