Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

British Stahlhelm copy

Article about: I am new to this forum, so forgive me if this has come up before, but a search could find no discussion of this unusual helmet. Outwardly it appears to be a German M35 Stahlhelm, but without

I have nothing more to contribute to this post then the documentary I posted before when a similar example was posted elsewhere.

Interesting. Although the uniforms and helmet insignia are clearly out of date by 1944, a greater effort has been made to provide more authentic equipment and weapons. The helmets are clearly of the same type- no vent bushing, and a British-style lining. It does show that the major function of these helmets was training and demonstration. Before the Axis surrender in Tunisia in May 1943, a lot of German kit would not have been available in any quantity in the West.
    Last edited by RVLucy; 02-01-2015 at 10:04 PM.

My understanding about these is that they were used for training orgs. We Believe these were used at Camp X for Training SOE agents, however as most documents for this camp were destroyed, we cannot confirm this, however the few photos I have seen from the camp with Soldiers dressed as Germans, I can tell that most, if not all were NOT wearing WW1 German Helmets.

Dean O

Hi Roger! Very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing it!

A still from a 1940's training video shows that German ww1 helmets were in fact used during training.
    On the left side the swastika, and on the right the national color.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	training_UK.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	805893

[QUOTE=magicdutchmen;1385523]A still from a 1940's training video shows that German ww1 helmets were in fact used during training.

Indeed, and for other purposes too. Here is a photograph taken during "If Day" 19 February 1942, which simulated the German take-over of Winnipeg, Manitoba in order to encourage the sale of War Bonds.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is two other photos of British-made Stahlhelm in use, the IWM captions read
    "The Home Guard: A break from instructions for men on a Home Guard Junior leaders course at Number 3 GHQ Home Guard School, Onibury near Craven Arms, Shropshire, sees soldiers dressed in German uniform - in order to represent German prisoners - taking a break with members of the Home Guard"

Name:	Briitdh Home Guard.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	969432

"Village clearing. Home Guard taking "German" prisoners at the bayonet point from a farm loft"

Name:	Village clearing 2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	969433

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12