Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British WW2 civil helmet but what is it made of?

Article about: hi guys, please see the attached photos which show what is said to have been a Gloster Aircraft Co. staff helmet. Apart from the remains of GAC painted to the front, it also has GAC stamped

Default British WW2 civil helmet but what is it made of?

hi guys, please see the attached photos which show what is said to have been a Gloster Aircraft Co. staff helmet. Apart from the remains of GAC painted to the front, it also has GAC stamped in the rear rim. Does this mean it was made by Glosters or just bought in by them & stamped to stop anyone running away with it, which clearly someone did with this one.

But what is the material it's made from? It appears to have been some sort of fibrous material with a resin roughly painted over.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks, Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British WW2 civil helmet but what is it made of?   British WW2 civil helmet but what is it made of?  

British WW2 civil helmet but what is it made of?   British WW2 civil helmet but what is it made of?  

British WW2 civil helmet but what is it made of?   British WW2 civil helmet but what is it made of?  

The GAC CompoSite MkIIs are quite interesting and slightly different to the other "plastics" in that the strap retaining lug mounts are raised....shown in your pics...

As for the content, there's quite a number of substance combinations used but most contained bits (technical term!) and a hardened liquid which binds the bits......the bits can be finely shredded rags, wood chips and the like....it's often possible to see them in the mix. When tapped with your finger nail they sound wooden right?

DId GAC make there own?.....I'm not convinced...their "plastics" AND their steels were stamped "GAC".......

many thanks for the fast and comprehensive reply. I did think the material was a mixture of bits including wood but didn't like to mention my thoughts lest I be considered daft!!

regards, dave

......in my experience the GAC ones are the roughest.....errr.....most rough......least finished..if you know what I mean

yes, that ably describes this one!

I've seen three of these, one from GAC, a second came from an Ironmongers in Scotland - their staff had them to wear......('long way from Gloucester.)....and the third is an AFS-marked one which I've yet to place. It would be interesting to see if anyone out there has other non-GAC versions (with the thickened rim section under the strap retaining lugs).

Here's a pic of the inside of my GAC one - it had no liner (obviously) and isn't as good as yours.

and the AFS one, which is in better nick......

NCA
    ?

Interesting...non-sparking and non-conductive for those working around flammable stuff and electricity.

...yeah I heard that too.....but years of looking has yet to support that one......and there's usually metal bits on them anyway. There's quite a few commercial adverts for war time composites and I've looked through a lot of official period papers.....I haven't found any references at all to them being specifically made for that purpose........but that's not to say people in those roles didn't use them as such.

..sorry NCA....I should've added, please post your source if you've had more luck than me....it's taken me years and I'm still not there! :-)

NCA
    ?

No 'official' source i'm afraid, just what I've been led to believe.

Perhaps they were just cheap and easy to produce?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast