Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

British WW2 helmets, which is the most collectible?

Article about: Hi Guys Up until recently I’ve been collecting US M1 helmets exclusively however after digging out a couple of MK2 British homefront helmets I acquired way back in the 80’s I now considering

?

Default British WW2 helmets, which is the most collectible?

Hi Guys

Up until recently I’ve been collecting US M1 helmets exclusively however after digging out a couple of MK2 British homefront helmets I acquired way back in the 80’s I now considering expanding my area of interest to British WW2 helmets.

My question is when it comes to “Brodie” type helmets which are the most collectible or what type would be the best to start off with?

Are there any good reference books that you would recommend on the subject?

Any unit marked MKII's are good to get, especially combat units, camo's attract a lot of attention, reused WWI MKI*'s are always worth getting, there are endless variations among home front helmets and unit marked Home Guard Camo's are worth getting.......

Among other British helmets, para's are always in demand, the earlier types in particular, as are good DR or Tankie lids and again the earlier the better.

Basically all are in demand among collectors IMO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

As regards reference books, not really, there are two long awaited books on British helmets that have yet to appear. There is a section in From tin lids to Composite helmets which is a good starter.

There is a good section on para lids from WWII to the present day in British Airborne Headress though it does show endless pics of some types and does not cover other types in much detail, but is very good for WWII examples which is the main thing for many.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

As Jerry says, there’s some stunning been-there Mk2 combat Helmets....flashed, badged, camo’d and netted. However, if you REALLY want a visually stunning show of thousands (yes, hundreds and hundreds and hundreds) of Mk2 Helmets (more indeed than any other types) then Brit Home Front Helmets is the way to go.

And as Jerry also says, two books are imminent.....one on camo’d/flashed combat Helmets and another about Home Front Helmets (the latter has over 1,000 different markings and paint-jobs).

?

'Tin Hat For Tommy', as some useful information but incredibly short of photos or images.

Did I mention over 1,000 Helmets photo’d in “Helmets of the Home Front”......so I’m told......... ;-)

...of course, dull green and brown ones are quite nice too........

?

Thanks guys for your help so far, Helmets of The Home Front sounds like its going to be a cracking book, looking forward to it being published.
    I think I might start with an original military MK2 and then maybe a few painted homefront ones for example an ARP or Police helmet. I would also like to get my hands on a RUC MK2 but I suspect they’re pretty rare.
    When I was a kid in the 80’s I ordered a British helmet from Silvermans expecting a “Brodie” type and was disappointed to get a Zuckerman helmet however it’s was a painted Fire Guard helmet it’s only now that I can appreciate it and glad I didn’t sell it on all those years ago.