Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this brodie a MK1 or M1917?

Article about: Hi All, I think it's an M1917, but in the Unique Imports Inc catalog the description said: "British type helmet worn by the 'Tommies' and 'Desert Rats'". The liner is signed in two

Default Is this brodie a MK1 or M1917?

Hi All,
    I think it's an M1917, but in the Unique Imports Inc catalog the description said: "British type helmet worn by the 'Tommies' and 'Desert Rats'". The liner is signed in two places reading "Lt. VC Smith" but no serial. Is there a way to research the name? Is Smith a common name?(just kidding... ). The stamping says: "ZC 235". It's missing the chin strap, but does the liner look original? Thank you in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this brodie a MK1 or M1917?   Is this brodie a MK1 or M1917?  

Is this brodie a MK1 or M1917?  

Default Re: Is this brodie a MK1 or M1917?

thats a US M1917A1

yes, the liner is original

the shell is of WWI vintage US M1917 but starting in 1936 they decided to make use of the helmets already in use by installing these new improved adjustable leather liners and they renamed it the M1917A1

this is an early US issue WWII era helmet that was used before they adopted the M1 helmet

Now that's a nice WWII lid .......................... !

They occasionally had some decent stuff, not like the crap out there today !
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks guys!
    I've always been interested in militaria collectibles but I just recently discovered the helmet collection my grandfather left me... I love it. It's truly interesting and... addicting!

that's great that you appreciate it, and are not selling it off like most numbnuts would.. post some pics of the others!

I already have!

Here's my public album:
    WW2 militaria collectors-War relics forum. Uniforms, Guns, helmets, battlefield archaeology - flash developer's Album: WW2 Helmets, Uniforms & Equipment

I'm in the process of removing the recent green paint from the Brit paratrooper helmet and the (italian is the consensus)Adrian helmet.

I purchased a few of the lids myself, as a kid. Most kids asked their parents to take them to the toy store... I always wanted to hit the Army/Navy Surplus!