Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.

Article about: Camouflage: A design of patches of dull colours (such as browns & greens) as used in military camouflage. An standard army Mk2 with textured paint, with a swathe of black paint across it

?

Thanks for adding those Camo's & repaints Mark.
    Here's an Mk1*, has been repainted & an blue diamond flash added on each side.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.   Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.  

Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.   Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.  

?

No worries Aaron as time permits over the next day or so I have a few more camo's and repaints to add to the thread.

Regards Mark

?

1941 seems to be the year in my collection for repaints and camos first up is a rather interesting 1941 dated C.L./C. with a very bold repaint and looks like the color of grass green for the lack of a better term. IMO it was repainted eons ago as to when it was done or what theater of operations it would have been used is still a mystery of course color period images from the field would be most helpful in determining were it may have been used.
    1941 dated C.L./C. flashed to the Winnipeg Grenadiers which is sporting a very heavy texturered camo over paint.
    Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.
    1941 C.L./C. three tone camo I am still on the fence as it were to if this Mk II was used in the ETO and or if the pattern is a camo ( referred to as the Mickey Mouse pattern) that was used early on in country (Britain) During the quite times known as the Phoney War .
    I have included an image from Juno Beach were there is a very similar pattern visible on a Canadian soldiers helmet in the foreground of course with out seeing the image in color it is impossible to tell but does make one consider the possibilities.
    I would say the image was taken with in the first couple of days of the D-Day invasion.
    Regards Mark

?

Perhaps a couple of more yet this morning first up an Australian Rimless sporting a heavy texturered repaint that IMO has had graffiti carved in the surface by the original soldier it was issued to.
    1941 dated C.L./C. steel lot batch 29 it is sporting a nice minty 1942 dated VMC liner in a size 6 3/4 and a minty war time issued chin strap I have a few of these lids in my collection that have been brush over painted in a flat olive green which was one of the two colors that were approved by the Canadian Army during WW II to be used for repainting and refurbishing helmets
    IMO it was very probably a depot refurb that never made it back into service do to the condition and as the liner retention bolt still bares the same olive green paint as the helmet body.

Regards Mark

?

The "grass green" one, I wonder what paint they used, it's as if it's just washed off the original paint.
    Or didn't adhere very well.
    The others are great too.

?

Hi Aaron the grass green example has taken some abuse the paint seems to be quite hard now but who can say what it was like 70 odd years ago when it was applied I have seen a couple other examples with this same color now and they all seem to have extensive paint loss .
    So IMO a definate paint problem if you enlarge the images you can see lots of scuffing and scratching right down to the base coat.
    I have a few more helmets I will add as time permits.

Regards Mark

?

An RA flashed Mk2 that has been over painted, it looks like the flash has been painted around.
    It belongs to an J.P. Crawford 423 Bty 57 search lights.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.   Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.  

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Mark, wow, that certainly is a very unusual cammo scheme. It certainly appears to be period to the helmet as it's wear pattern is consistent. As for it's design purpose, I can only guess at it being for urban winter combat use, black and white is a good scheme for that, but it is just a guess! Thanks for showing it. Leon.
    Hi Leon sorry for the late reply it seems for the most part there has been some pretty mixed opinions concerning this pattern and in the beginning I as well though it a good candidate for a winter urban camo pattern and my opinion only swayed towards the Navy as it was pointed out on another venue that they were allowed a little more creative freedom .
    I would be happy to be proven wrong on this if someone could support the urban camo theory with period images and or another comparable example.
    surprisingly no one has ever put the ideal forward that it was a post war contrived piece but I think it is far to unusual for that as crazy as it sounds.

Regards Mark

?

Probably one of my favorites, R.A 2nd AA Div'. Repainted in an heavy sand texture.

?

Nice lid Aaron it looks like it would be quite heavy in comparison to a standard Mk II it appears to show very little use as the texturing has not even worn off the head of the liner retention bolt yet.

Regards Mark

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast