Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.

Article about: Camouflage: A design of patches of dull colours (such as browns & greens) as used in military camouflage. An standard army Mk2 with textured paint, with a swathe of black paint across it

?

Default Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.

Camouflage: A design of patches of dull colours (such as browns & greens) as used in military camouflage.
    An standard army Mk2 with textured paint, with a swathe of black paint across it.
    It once had the larger Mk1 lining securing nut & bolt when it was camouflaged, but has been lost or replaced with an smaller nut & bolt.
    The helmet is dated 1939 & made by JSS, the Mk1 liner is also dated 1939 but was made by JCS&W Ltd.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.   Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.  

Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.   Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.  

?

The most well known & sort after camo has got to be the Malta, or stone wall camo.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.   Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.  

?

Lovely examples Aaron I would sell a kidney on for the Malta Mk II
    Per chance is the thread open for one and all as I have a few Camo's and field repaints in my collection I could add to the thread.

Regards Mark

?

If I need to have an kidney transplant I know where I can get one then.
    I was hoping you could add some, especially the camo with the Canadian liner in.
    Thanks.

Good to see genuine cammo's as opposed to the mountains of fake junk that is usually seen on the bay! Here is my FAU Medics helmet, whilst maybe not considered strictly a "cammo", it certainly was given a "desert tan" overpaint during it's WW2 service to suit it's environment! Leon.Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.Camouflage, & re-painted helmets.

?

Thanks for adding Leon, I did think about the title of the thread, camo to me normally means more than one colour, two or three.
    So added repainted as well to cover ones like yours, with just one overall repaint.

?

A lovely helmet Leon I would be honored to have this example grace my shelf but sadly have already promissed Aaron the one kidney I can afford to give up
    As to Camo's and field repaints I will start with this example .
    This Mk II was produced by (EC&CO Ltd) E Carmeliant & Co Ltd Birmingham and is 1940 dated now here is were things get rather interesting it is sporting a 1942 dated VMC liner and a Canadian war time period chinstrap The helmets crucifix pad has been lost to the ages and would appear to have been gone for many years and liner and chinstrap look to have been in this helmet for eons and the liner retention nut and bolt are quite seized .
    There is good period evidence in the form of images to support this type of camo pattern was worn in the theater of operations in Italy and or South western Europe.
    and IMO the camo looks good and shows some nice aging and patina and shows definite signs of field use just how I like them not used and abused.
    I am positive this helmet has a story to tell and would love to know how and were this helmet came to be in this configuration was it traded ,lost in a crap-game,gifted from soldier to soldier ,field pickup who can say all speculation of course but an interesting exercise for the mind.
    It has been suggested else wear on another venue if the original occupant was with the 1'st Canadian Division he would very likely have received a British made helmet, as they went overseas before Canadian production began.

Regards Mark

Attached Images Attached Images Camouflage, & re-painted helmets. 

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Thanks for adding Leon, I did think about the title of the thread, camo to me normally means more than one colour, two or three.
    So added repainted as well to cover ones like yours, with just one overall repaint.
    Hi Aaron I have myself always considered a camo as any purposeful attempt to change any helmet body to blend in with and or adopt to a different enviroment weather it is one and or multiple colors that have been adopted such as this 1942 dated C.L./C. that has been field overpainted in a desert tan notice the wide brush strokes one of my favorite Mk II's as this color is very rarely encountered on Canadian produced and or issued helmets very probably used in the Italian Theater of Operations .

Regards Mark

?

One more this morning I have a love hate relationship with this particular Mk II would love to be able to find a period comparable image and I hate the fact that my research so far has been in vain.
    What can I tell you gents about this Mk II to start with it is a Canadian Manufactured helmet Body and it has been manufactured from combat grade steel (manganese) as it is non magnetic this fact in conjunction with the single spot welds on the rim joint on the back of the helmet body and the round headed chinstrap lug retaining rivets means I can rule out G.S.W. as the manufacturer.
    Unfortunately the area were the manufacturers stamp would have been is covered over with sand textured paint and then a black over coat so this leaves only two options left the helmet body was either constructed by C.L./C. and or A G/C.
    The liner is with out a doubt of Canadian manufacturer and would have been produced by VMC there are no stamps visible on the liner but it is not uncommon to find them stamped on the tongues on the reverse side on Canadian liners I could remove the liner securing nut and bolt for a peak but really do not want to disturb the paint as it has been there for ages .
    The chinstrap is as well Canadian manufactured but has seen better days and it would appear this helmet sat for some time upside down in a damp location these are the facts as I know them and now it comes to speculation time .
    This has to be one of the oddest painted Mk II helmets I have seen and it has been posted to multiple other forums for review and I have recieved many different replies speculating about this camo pattern everything from the white representing the number seven,urban camo,hard wood forest winter camo,disruptive pattern used in Holland 44-45 and Navy dazzle camo as seen painted on War ships.
    I have had this Mk II in my collection for some time now and I am quite happy to have it as it is a very interesting helmet but I must confess I am no closer to uncovering the origins of the camo scheme than what I was the day I added it to my collection as I can find no period images or reference to this type of pattern being used this of course does not mean it is not so .
    I myself am leaning towards it being a Canadian Navy issue helmet as for the most part there was no scheme that is apparent in any of the examples I have seen and they were able to adopt what ever pattern that they fancied using what paint was available at the time all speculation of course but fun to think about.

Regards Mark

Last edited by Mark K; 05-05-2015 at 03:38 AM.

Hi Mark, wow, that certainly is a very unusual cammo scheme. It certainly appears to be period to the helmet as it's wear pattern is consistent. As for it's design purpose, I can only guess at it being for urban winter combat use, black and white is a good scheme for that, but it is just a guess! Thanks for showing it. Leon.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast