Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Canadian 1940 DATED MkII

Article about: So I take it 1940 was the first year they produced the Mk2 in Canada? Here's a 1941 dated one.

?

So I take it 1940 was the first year they produced the Mk2 in Canada?
    Here's a 1941 dated one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian 1940 DATED MkII   Canadian 1940 DATED MkII  

?

Nice example Aaron if memory serves me correct we did not receive licencing permission to produce the Mk II from England till late in 1939 .
    I can't confirm that 100% right now as I am on my smart phone at work and all my reference material is at home on my laptop .

Regards Mark K

According to Lucy production started mid 1940.

?

Thanks Mads so I would have to say this Mk II would have to very early on in production.

Regards Mark k

Found another source (Canadian Forces in WWII by Chartrand)

first order was on 25.000 examples it was placed in late May, one month later another 115.000 were ordered, and before the end of the year another 135.000.

In 1941 200.000 examples were ordered, and in 1942 half a million.

In 1943 numbers were lower, in total 1.131.600 helmets were manufactured incl those for airforce and civil defence.

Edit:

Any ideas how many examples are there in one batch?

?

Hi mads excellent break down of the numbers thanks for your contribution to this thread.
    As to the question of how many helmets were produced from a specific steel batch I am not shur how the system worked if I find out any additional information I will post it here and if you find out any details please pass them along as it is an interesting subject .

Regards Mark K

?

Aaron this is the information I have regarding Procurement of Canadian versions of the British Mk.II as I thought licencing permission was not granted till late in 1939 and initiated in January 1940, with the first contracts issued in late May you were spot on with the production date Mads.

Regards Mark K

Thanks Mark, I dont think it will be possible to find info about the batch numbers in any reference book, probably the only way is going through the archives or maybe the manufacturing companies or former employees have additional info. Would be exciting to find out.

Cheers, Mads

?

Sorry gents ran out of light to take anymore closeups of the shell but will include one more this is the first time I have ever seen a C-/l\ mark on the exterior of a Canadian helmet.
    As to the diamond shape on the front of the shell it is no easier to see will try and take a daylight photo tomorrow.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian 1940 DATED MkII  

I have quite a few Canadian helmets in my collection, but first time to see a C-Broad Arrow engraving on a helmet !!!

I can only say WOW !

Thank you for posting the photo.

Regards,
    Taka

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast