Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian 42 C.L./C. Mk II R.C.E.M.E

Article about: And yet another 42 C.L./C. Jeez if I did not know better I would think this was the only year that Canada produced helmets during WW II . Although I have a few 42's in my collection it was h

?

Default Canadian 42 C.L./C. Mk II R.C.E.M.E

And yet another 42 C.L./C. Jeez if I did not know better I would think this was the only year that Canada produced helmets during WW II .
    Although I have a few 42's in my collection it was hard to say no to this one it is flashed to the Corps of Royal Canadian Electrical Mechanical Engineers.
    It is well worn and has a nice rather salty look about it and has been brush over painted in olive green which I have seen on a few late war helmets now and not the post war OD green as seen on Canadian army refurbished helmets as per regulations of 1953 IMO but I will know for shur when I have it in hand.
    I have always had a fascination with the (RCEME) as the duties they performed in the field are near an exact match to the the duties I perform in my regular job on a day to day basis the armies version of a jack of all trades

The Corps were officially formed on May 15, 1944, the membership was drawn from the ranks of engineering units of the Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps, Royal Canadian Army Service Corps, and the Royal Canadian Engineers they were reorganized into the Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (RCEME). This was done due to the growing complexity and power of guns, radios, radar, and vehicles, forming a separate engineering corps made the best use of technical skills in support of army equipment.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian 42 C.L./C. Mk II R.C.E.M.E   Canadian 42 C.L./C. Mk II R.C.E.M.E  

Canadian 42 C.L./C. Mk II R.C.E.M.E   Canadian 42 C.L./C. Mk II R.C.E.M.E  

?

Always nice to see helmets with a flash, sort of ties it down to a certain time, & certain people. I guess impossible to tell whether it was repainted WW2 or after.
    For Brit lids it's olive drab that was used post war mostly.

?

Thanx Aaron and you are correct it is very hard to tell if the paint is late war or post war I will be comparing it to my post war Re painted Mk II's when it arrives
    Regards Mark K

?

I've just seen a R.A Canadian Mk2 with an artillery gun on the side, not the red/blue flash, but the helmet was made by GSW D.P.&H.
    Is that helmet for non military use? & if so why the R.A transfer.

?

Thats strange Aaron D.P.&H. would be manufactured from mild steel can you post a link or a couple images please.

Regards Mark

You got that helmet, eh? Good score.

?

Thanx Dale I do like them a little salty and worn .
    Dale what are your initial thoughts on the brushed on over paint.

Regards Mark

It looks like the overpaint is a darker OD gloss green, which would indicate use post-war when the Canadian army painted helmets the same color as their equipment. RCEME flashed helmets do not appear as much as others, so finding one hiding under a repaint makes it a gem. Just adds to it's credibility.

?

Thanks Dale your opinion is appreciated I was on the fence about the color and was thinking the color was a little off for the post war green used by the Canadian Army .
    I do Agree with you though it would add to the credibility and does go to show that the Canadian Mk II had a long service life if only it could talk ?
    With out a doubt she is a keeper and I am very happy to be able to add this Mk II to my collection of Canadian helmets.

Regards Mark