Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canadian 42 dated G.S.W. flashed to the Army Fire Service

Article about: I came upon this gem about a month ago and decided it needed a new home it is a 1942 G.S.W.and is sporting a 42 dated VMC liner in a size 6 3/4 the chinstrap has seen better days and is a li

?

Default Canadian 42 dated G.S.W. flashed to the Army Fire Service

I came upon this gem about a month ago and decided it needed a new home it is a 1942 G.S.W.and is sporting a 42 dated VMC liner in a size 6 3/4 the chinstrap has seen better days and is a little rough around the edges
    This Mk II has a hand painted flash to the Army Fire Service New Toronto the name Ben is as well painted on the exterior of the helmet just above the rim I purchased this particular Mk II for two reasons flashed helmets are getting increasingly hard to come by and I found this an interesting example.
    The other reason was the rarity of this particular Mk II helmet body in January of 1942 G.S.W. manufactured a batch of helmet bodies that did not pass the final Government inspection these helmets were re designated for use by the A.R.P. and civil defense.
    The Dept of Pensions and Health was allowed to purchase 30,000 of these reject helmet bodies from G.S.W. for the Air Raid Precautions service these shells will be found with the normal manufacturers mark ,date and Mk I stamp
    The steel batch code A P has been stamped in there bodies this denotes them for use by the home defense and or ARP take note of the extra large spacing between the letters A and P this would suggest the P was added at a later date by far these are the rarest Canadian Mk II helmets do to the very low numbers that were released to the Dept of Pensions and health they predate the mild steel Mk II's that were produced later on in 1942 and used by the ARP and are so marked G.S.W. D P & H.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian 42 dated G.S.W. flashed to the Army Fire Service   Canadian 42 dated G.S.W. flashed to the Army Fire Service  

Canadian 42 dated G.S.W. flashed to the Army Fire Service   Canadian 42 dated G.S.W. flashed to the Army Fire Service  

Canadian 42 dated G.S.W. flashed to the Army Fire Service   Canadian 42 dated G.S.W. flashed to the Army Fire Service  

Canadian 42 dated G.S.W. flashed to the Army Fire Service  

Gosh Mark Another
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

An interesting one, what a beauty !!

Great score, Mark!

Cheers!
    Taka

Mark you're on the roll these day. Nice rare one.

?

Thanx Mads there have been some nice Helmets coming up for sale lately and I can not help myself .

Regards Mark

?

Grab them while they are still there, you will find they will one day dry up.

?

You bet Aaron I think that trend has started already there seem to be less out there in the market place and the prices are getting higher and higher all the time.
    I am going to pick up a 41 G.S.W after work it was listed on E-bay but the seller is only a few miles up the road from here.

Regards Mark

?

Very Nice!!!!

Dean O

?

Thanx Dean I found it an interesting example.

Regards Mark

Sorry, I realize that it took so long, I could only see this interesting discussion today.
    I would like to ask Mark if all the helmets marked g.s.w. A P 1942 they were destined to the Dept of Pensions or for the Air Raid Precautions service. Or what can you recognize them from?
    I, for example, have one exactly the same as the one posted, was this also intended for the dept of pension or ARP?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian 42 dated G.S.W. flashed to the Army Fire Service  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast