Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian or British WW1(?) MK1 (?) Painted Helmet Marking ID?

Article about: Hi Folks! Hoping someone here might be able to help me. I think this is a WW1 British (or Possibly Canadian?) Helmet. I think these are reffered to as a "Mark 1". (Please correct m

Default Canadian or British WW1(?) MK1 (?) Painted Helmet Marking ID?

Hi Folks!

Hoping someone here might be able to help me.

I think this is a WW1 British (or Possibly Canadian?) Helmet. I think these are reffered to as a "Mark 1". (Please correct me if I'm wrong or confirm if you can).

The front has a painted emblem (hoping to figure out what the markings mean, perhaps Unit or Rank?). Also there are impressed marks "H.V." over "571" on the underside at the rear. (anyone know what these marks mean?).

Any additional info would also be appreciated.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian or British WW1(?) MK1 (?) Painted Helmet Marking ID?   Canadian or British WW1(?) MK1 (?) Painted Helmet Marking ID?  

Canadian or British WW1(?) MK1 (?) Painted Helmet Marking ID?   Canadian or British WW1(?) MK1 (?) Painted Helmet Marking ID?  

Canadian or British WW1(?) MK1 (?) Painted Helmet Marking ID?   Canadian or British WW1(?) MK1 (?) Painted Helmet Marking ID?  

Canadian or British WW1(?) MK1 (?) Painted Helmet Marking ID?  

Default Re: Canadian or British WW1(?) MK1 (?) Painted Helmet Marking ID?

Definitely a Canadian insignia...just can't recall who it is right now, but I will look. I'm sure someone will ID it quickly. The HV would be the shell manufacturer.

Nice helmet by the way.

Dale

Can't find it right now but it is an officer insignia for second division if I remember correctly.

Hi! You nailed it! I did a search for CEF 2nd Division & found this page: Colour Patches of Canada in WW1. There is shows "2nd Division" (All Officers).

Thanks for the assistance & compliment on the helmet. I found this helmet at a local Thrift Store & had initially thought it was a WW2 helmet (like others in my collection), until I noticed the different liner.

Best Regards,
    Paul

Whew! Good guess!

That is quite a find for a thrift store...wish the ones around here would produce a gem like that. Nothing but old kitchen utensils, tacky doodads, and womens clothes in ours.

Congrats on the great find!

Dale

Thanks Dale!

It's persistance that gets things like this. I go about 3+ times a week, to four thrift stores. 99% of the time there's just junk like you mentioned, but every once in a while a gem pops out. With use of a coupon I picked up the helmet for about $20! The helmet will go into my collection (probably permanently, unless I find a better example). My best (non-military) finds last year include a gold coin for $6 (sold for $500), several ladies gold watches for under $10 each, a ladies rolex for $50, and a sterling flatware set (worth about $1k) for $60. Unfortunately Military Stuff is few & far between at the local thrift stores. Other than the WW1 Helmet, in the last year I've found a couple small Trench Art items, a WW2 Swiss Ammo Pouch, a few hat badges, and other odds & ends. I did find a mint WW2 German Bakelite Binocular case for $0.50 once a few years back. I tend to find more Military stuff at Antique Stores, Antique Shows, Auctions, and occassionally eBay.

Thanks again for the assistance!!
    Paul

?

Maybe a mark 1 star.

Quote by Legowy View Post
    Maybe a mark 1 star.
    No, the MKI* is the terminology used for WWI MKI shells that were refurbished for use just prior to WWII, with new chinstrap lugs and new MKI liners. The thread starter has WWI lugs and liner.

A very nice helmet and good to see the insignia.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.