Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

canadian chin strap

Article about: This is probably one for kozowy1967 Mark. I was wondering if this is perhaps another Canadian buckle variation, or something alien to the helmet. Its on a G.S.W. B.P.& H helmet with 1942

Default canadian chin strap

This is probably one for kozowy1967 Mark.
    I was wondering if this is perhaps another Canadian buckle variation, or something alien to the helmet.
    Its on a G.S.W. B.P.& H helmet with 1942 dated V.M.C. liner.
    Looks the same as the one posted on Marks pinned thread apart from these slight differences.
    It has a rusty blackened steel (not brass) early or post war type buckle on a single type light tan webbing strap. Also the elasticised strap links are steel.
    Looking at the pictures on his good pinned thread, they look like the buckles can be removed the way the strap is threaded through the buckle where as mine cannot. I might be wrong.
    Unfortunately there are no ink stamps visible.
    Anyway I just thought I would let him see it. Because as he says the debate will always go on when these types were made.
    Thanks everyone
    Rod

canadian chin strapcanadian chin strapcanadian chin strapcanadian chin strap

Interesting. I don't have a buckle like this on any of my Canadian helmets. I suspect the chinstrap is threaded through it wrong. Perhaps is Australian or something post-war.

?

Hi Rod IMO this is not a Canadian chinstrap or at least one I have ever seen, the ones you are referring to the buckles are sewn to the one side and can not be moved and or removed this is visible in image one of the two images below while I notice yours is a free floating buckle and can be moved and adjusted anywhere one desires all though similar in construction they are not the same.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture canadian chin strap   canadian chin strap  

Thank you guys for your replies.
    I see now what you mean Mark about the buckle being fixed at one side, yes my one can move along the strap to any position on it.
    I thought it was different.
    With a bit of luck perhaps someone will be able to identify it.
    buckle size is 32mm x 28mm
    Here is a picture of how the strap is sewn on ether end which might be of help to someone.
    Regards
    Rod
    canadian chin strap

?

Hi Rod repost it in Tin Lids chinstrap sticky he maybe have some insight.

Regards Mark