Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian m1 helmet - wwii us helmet reissued in canada

Article about: Picked up this helmet. FS FB allegedly issued to Canadian Army. Any thoughts on authenticity? Before seeing this helmet I had never heard of Canadian Army using M1s. The seller says that it

Default Canadian m1 helmet - wwii us helmet reissued in canada

Picked up this helmet.
    FS FB allegedly issued to Canadian Army.
    Any thoughts on authenticity?
    Before seeing this helmet I had never heard of Canadian Army using M1s.
    The seller says that it was issued to them in the 50s and repainted.
    I dont know if she is saying the whole helmet is repainted or just the Canadian markings added.
    I got it for $240 + shipping from Canada.
    I figured for that price the SC liner alone was worth it.
    I looked around on the internet and found that the Ammo Tech symbol is as attached (looks similar).
    Here is the description the seller gave:

This helmet is Second World War Fixed Bale M1 Helmet that was supplied to the Canadian Army during the war. This helmet has a very interesting 1950's Canadian Army repaint and stenciling indicating it was used by a Canadian Army Ammunition Technician. It is also faintly marked on the rear with a large yellow "C" broad arrow marking. The inside of the helmet is marked with two Canadian Army soldiers service numbers; one Second World War, and the other 1950's.

This helmet is fitted with a St. Clair liner, but has had a replacement sweatband installed. It also appears that the liner was painted blue on the exterior but subsequently repainted green. This was most likely done for United Nations service in the 1960s.
    Attached Images
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian m1 helmet - wwii us helmet reissued in canada   Canadian m1 helmet - wwii us helmet reissued in canada  

Canadian m1 helmet - wwii us helmet reissued in canada  
    Attached Images Attached Images Canadian m1 helmet - wwii us helmet reissued in canada  Canadian m1 helmet - wwii us helmet reissued in canada  Canadian m1 helmet - wwii us helmet reissued in canada 

?

Default Re: Canadian m1 helmet - wwii us helmet reissued in canada

Wow,, are the markings a British unit but alone the Saint Clair and this helmet are worth more than you paid, interested in seeing what the marking are for and what period they are from interesting helmet

Thank you. The markings are supposed to represent Canadian Army Ammunition Technician (see last pic I got from the internet).
    There is also a faint C and arrow on the back which is a Canadian symbol.

?

Any chance of seeing a shot of the C-Broad Arrow mark on this helmet.

Edit... Or is that large yellow mark on the back supposed to be it.

Regards Mark K
    Last edited by Mark K; 04-07-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Add information

I dont have it in hand yet but yes the large mark on the back that has faded is supposed to be.
    Also has alleged serial numbers of Canadian soldiers inside steel pot.

Adopted by Canada as standard in 1960, a limited number had been in Canadian service since the Second World War. Beginning in the late 1960s an American pattern reversable camouflage cover was issued, as well as a white cover for winter. American Woodland Pattern camouflage covers started to appear in Canadian service by the late 1980's.

It was replaced in 1997 with the CG634 Fritz style helmet.

Larry

Thanks Larry, any thoughts on the markings?