Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.

Article about: At the onset of WW II Canada was wholly unprepared for war and there were elements of the 1'st and 2'nd Division sent overseas early on in the winter of 1939 and the spring of 1940 to Englan

?

Hi Jake yes it is a rimless helmet and IMO they are quite rare indeed I do not believe very many examples have survived and I can honestly say I only know of one other in a private collection here in Canada that I had the opportunity to handle quite a few years back.
    I think they are under appreciated and represents a very important period in Canadian history and would not be surprised if a good many were left behind at Dunkirk and or stripped and discarded for scrap steel when the new Mk II helmets became available in late 1940.
    And I guess if it turns out to be the British variation I could find a little room somewhere in my collection for it Jeez !!! with any luck we will get a better look at it in a week or so.

Regards Mark

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Hi Jake yes it is a rimless helmet and IMO they are quite rare indeed I do not believe very many examples have survived and I can honestly say I only know of one other in a private collection here in Canada that I had the opportunity to handle quite a few years back.
    I think they are under appreciated and represents a very important period in Canadian history and would not be surprised if a good many were left behind at Dunkirk and or stripped and discarded for scrap steel when the new Mk II helmets became available in late 1940.
    And I guess if it turns out to be the British variation I could find a little room somewhere in my collection for it Jeez !!! with any luck we will get a better look at it in a week or so.

Regards Mark
    Gosh I am shocked that you could say that about a British MkI* especialy if it is rimless.

?

Sorry Gents not a lot of time this morning Dam Work always getting in the way of the things I love to do
    The helmet arrived in the mail last night IMO a British rimless Brodie as I expected it would be that has been factory retrofitted (weather done in Britain or Canada ) I am not clear on yet and or worn by a Canadian I am happy all the same though I have just had a few minutes to take a few pics as best I can tell liner chinstrap are British as well ?
    There is some interesting writing carved through the textured paint all the way around the helmet 5 different phrases and statements as best I can tell and IMO done along time ago do to the wear and patina.
    I will leave a few images with you gents to contemplate while I am slaving away I can add more images at request just not till tomorrow in the AM though.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.   Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.  

Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.   Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.  

Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.  

Looks the part Mark,that heavy texturing looks lush,great pick up and one that you needed in your collection,glad it arrived safe and well done............

Looks great Mark, have you managed to read all the inscriptions on it?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Lovely looking lid. Am I the only one that can make out the word "FISH" on it?

Dumb question, but did the Canadians make their own lids in the Great War, or did they use British made lids?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Hi guys only a few minutes all lids used in WW I by Canada were supplied by GB.
    And yes I have read all the inscriptions will post them up later and Fish is one of them.

Regards Mark

?

Great looking helmet, but I think the liner & chin strap maybe New Zealand/ Australian, is the chin strap lug marked NZP?
    Seeing the rubber buffers & yellow & 7 1/2 makes me feel this, either way still a top helmet.

?

Thanks Aaron have not had a lot of time to go over it yet but I think you are correct on the NZ shows even the good guys such as the Guild can get it wrong sometimes an intresting lid all the same and I am happy to have it .

Regards Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast