Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.

Article about: At the onset of WW II Canada was wholly unprepared for war and there were elements of the 1'st and 2'nd Division sent overseas early on in the winter of 1939 and the spring of 1940 to Englan

?

Well I think it's got to be as hard to find & rarer than the Canadian Mk1* that you were after.
    I bet there's a lot of people down under who would love to have an helmet like that, me included I live top side.

?

Thanks Aaron still at work for a few hours can't gain access to my referance material do seem to remember somewere in the back of my mind about rimless shells being produced in NZ, during the war will have to do a little research thank you to all that replied .
    Sounds like a rare occasion that one should be very happy to be completely wrong about a helmet

Regards Mark

?

Ok I had a chance this morning to have a good look at this lid and the liner and IMHO Aaron it is still in the running as a British Rimless Brodie.
    I on the norm will never take apart a helmet but this one had me stumped after close inspection of the chinstrap retaining lugs and rivets I quickly ruled out NZ as the manufacturer the lugs and rivets just did not look correct for a shell produced in NZ by General Motors (NZ) or NZ Railway Workshops NZ MK II's should bare the CS logo of Commonwealth Steel on the brim and the lugs should be marked New Zealand Physical Laboratories (NZ P.L.) so I carefully scraped a little paint of of one of the lugs with my fingernail and found they were indeed stamped 1940 Mk II's
    Now the liner and cross pad are a different story again I can find no reference to this particular manufacturer in the Data Base on three separate forums so the Mystery thickens here are a few more images to contemplate over any and all thoughts and comments are most welcome.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.   Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.  

Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.   Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.  

Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.   Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.  

Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.  

?

It's an Australian liner, the Mk2 chin strap lugs might be as well. So the question is, is the shell British WW1 issue, refurbed like the Mk1* in the UK but by the Australians, or is the whole shell just an WW2 Aussie shell?

?

Good question Aaron a bit of an enigma wrapped in a riddle.

Regards Mark

Mark i agree with Aaron that it is an Aussie Liner,Size,Broadarrow and inspectors initials are the same as many on my Australian MkIIs.If the shell is indeed WW1 then it will be English i reckon,however most i have seen and own are marked with WW1 British manufacturer stamp.
    However not all examples of Australian WW2 MkIIs are marked with the CS batch number,and i think i have one very similar with the same lugs and rimless,so im leaning towards the fact that it could be one of ours.
    Nice lid all the same,and for your sake i hope it is a rimless Brodie.
    Mick

I assume the big question is now, is what is the difference in value between what was bought and what it turned out to be and also about desirability. In my part of the world Assuie lids are uncommon but I think the Transitional Canadian lid would be rare anywhere if that is and what it was being sold as and being charged for. What do Aussie lids fetch?

It is a good lid and as I mentioned not one you see often in my part of the world.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Gents I thank you all for your opinions and I concure it is a good lid and regardless of weather it is an Aussie and or British Rimless I am very pleased to have it and IMO was period done in the first images that were posted from the Guild in the beginning of the thread it is hard to make out but I think the last image shown is of a manufacturers mark I will try and have a look again with a high powered led light at an angle to see if I can locate one.

Regards Mark

My 2cents worth is that it's a reworked British WW1 helmet prior to mass production down here, I have a BMB 41 pommy mk2 with similar thick paint and an Aust liner. I can't really explain the rimless unless it was to govt requirements?

?

Thanks Rene for having a peak and for your opinion had a good look with a light at the writing carved in the first layer of texturing this is what I have been able to make out (AUSTRALIAN LAST HOPE) ( IX ) ( MD )( FISH )( KILL KID ) so I guess that settles that.
    And the only stamps that I can truly make out are on the interior near the rear edge of the rim the number 89 is lightly stamped in the steel and it looks like there are a couple of letters as well but it is near impossible to tell what they are with out removing the paint and I do not want to do that.

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark K; 11-23-2014 at 11:30 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3