Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.

Article about: At the onset of WW II Canada was wholly unprepared for war and there were elements of the 1'st and 2'nd Division sent overseas early on in the winter of 1939 and the spring of 1940 to Englan

?

Default Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.

At the onset of WW II Canada was wholly unprepared for war and there were elements of the 1'st and 2'nd Division sent overseas early on in the winter of 1939 and the spring of 1940 to England equip't with WW I era Mk I helmets of which Canada still had 25,000 tucked away in National Defense Depots Canada did purchase a 140,000 new British made Mk II's early on in the war but this would come no were close to meeting her war needs to the troops heading overseas.
    Contracts were awarded in January of 1940 and approved by the privy council in May of the same year the Canadian Motorlamp Company ( C.L./C.)was awarded the first initial contract for 25,000 helmet bodies and with in this order a number of spare components were to be produced as well ie..helmet chinstrap retaining lugs,Rivets and liner retention nuts and bolts for the purpose of retrofitting existing Mk I's .
    Viceroy Manufacturing won the Bid for the liners while Backstay standards was awarded the bid to produce the chinstraps with in these contracts as well were allocations to produce spare components some of which were destined for retrofitting existing Mk I helmets.
    I recently purchased this Retrofitted Mk I from the Guild as I thought it an important early variation and worthy of having in ones collection and have never seen another example come up for sale in the marketplace please pardon the images as they are rather dark and I will post better ones up upon it's arrival in the post.

Regards Mark

The Collector's Guild
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian MkI (Transitional) Helmet.  

Very nice Mark,I regulary look at the guild but thats as far as it goes,my pockets are not that deep im afraid,nevertheless still a great example and needs must sometimes,well done Bud............

?

Many thanks Jake for the most part I am a window shopper at the Guild as well but had to have this one .
    PS. sorry did not get back to you yesterday stupid busy at work just going out to plow a foot of fresh snow from overnight I would go with the DR helmet IMO.

Regards Mark

?

So it's a bit like a British Mk1*, if it is, it's worth it at nearly any price.
    Quite rare then.

very nice mark and looking forward to seeing the better pictures upon arrival
    Regards James

Quote by tinlid View Post
    So it's a bit like a British Mk1*,
    My thoughts as well, must be even more uncommon that the Brit version.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks Gents this might sound odd but worse case scenario for me is it is a British transitional Mk 1 LOL.

Regards Mark

?

I'm shocked you could say such a thing

Is that a rimless Helmet?certainly looks it,yeh what Aaron said,whats wrong with it being a Brit mk1*....

Great addition to your collection Mark , covers such a wide time period in Canadian military history. I look forward to seeing your pictures when it arrives! Leon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast