Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian MKII Helmet

Article about: Hi all, This is one of my first Commonwealth helmets, I bought it at the time thinking it was British (couldn’t resist the price mainly) and then later learned it was Canadian. Shell is 1942

Default Canadian MKII Helmet

Hi all,

This is one of my first Commonwealth helmets, I bought it at the time thinking it was British (couldn’t resist the price mainly) and then later learned it was Canadian.

Shell is 1942 CL/C Dated (Most common year of production) and the liner is 1941, VMC.

Liner is a nice and wearable 7 3/4.

So, my questions are, is this the original coat of paint on the shell?

I believe I have seen where a lot of these helmets were assembled post war with left over parts, sort of Surplus Store Specials if you will. The Liner securing nut and bolt are also incorrect are they not?

I see a Six digit number (soldiers Serial number I presume?) along with a name written on it.

Regardless of all of this it still has and will continue to have a spot in my collection.

(P.S. Chinstrap is a reproduction I added and not original to the helmet)

Canadian MKII Helmet
    Canadian MKII Helmet
    Canadian MKII Helmet
    Canadian MKII Helmet
    Canadian MKII Helmet
    Canadian MKII Helmet
    Canadian MKII Helmet
    Canadian MKII Helmet
    Canadian MKII Helmet
    Canadian MKII Helmet
    Canadian MKII Helmet

Hi,

Nice MK.II CDN helmet, in great condition too.

The paint is war time original.

Nut, screw and "paper washer" are modern replacements.

I don't think it's hard to find those original pieces mentioned above, and the chinstrap.

If you look really carefully inside the sell, photo 5, you might able to find a faint C-Broad Arrow stamp.

This helmet worth adding the original components.

Cheers!
    Taka

?

Nice Mk II a good add on to any collection and as mentioned by Taka there are replacement components still available from time to time for sale in the market place the liner securing nut and bolt should be of the Mk I variety with the larger 16 mm bolt head and dished securing nut these tend to be a little harder to find and are rather expensive .
    I will from time to to time by a junk or post war repainted Canadian Mk II for the components ie ...liner,crucifix pad,liner securing nut and bolt and the chinstrap as to the liner it is not uncommon to find Canadian Mk II's with miss matched dated components.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian MKII Helmet  

Very nice. It is indeed the original paint and has the securing pieces replaced with reproductions (which is understandable as the originals are not particularly common). I have a couple just like this. Good find.

Thanks, it’s definitely a keeper.

I’ll keep my eye out for original components as well.