Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian MkII helmet with scrim. Authentic scrim?

Article about: Hello Gents, I am looking to balance my German helmet collection with some of my country's (Canada) combat helmets. The bonus of these helmets are that they are relativity common in Canada a

Default Canadian MkII helmet with scrim. Authentic scrim?

Hello Gents,

I am looking to balance my German helmet collection with some of my country's (Canada) combat helmets. The bonus of these helmets are that they are relativity common in Canada and cheap!

I like this MkII but I don't know much about authenticating scrim netting. From the pictures, it looks like this scrim has been with the helmet for a while and is worn. I am hoping other collectors with scim netting examples can see if there are any red flags, or if it is a good one.

Cheers!

Tyler

Canadian MkII helmet with scrim. Authentic scrim?Canadian MkII helmet with scrim. Authentic scrim?Canadian MkII helmet with scrim. Authentic scrim?Canadian MkII helmet with scrim. Authentic scrim?Canadian MkII helmet with scrim. Authentic scrim?Canadian MkII helmet with scrim. Authentic scrim?Canadian MkII helmet with scrim. Authentic scrim?Canadian MkII helmet with scrim. Authentic scrim?Canadian MkII helmet with scrim. Authentic scrim?Canadian MkII helmet with scrim. Authentic scrim?

Hi, well it looks good to me, but Mark will tell you for sure as he is the expert on your Canadian helmets here. Don't start bidding each other up on the bay though, take it in turns ! Leon.

?

Tyler I would hold off on this one it was offered to me a couple of weeks back .
    And it does not take up shelf space in my collection .

Regards Mark

Quote by Mark K View Post
    Tyler I would hold off on this one it was offered to me a couple of weeks back .
    And it does not take up shelf space in my collection .

Regards Mark
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Well, I didn't hold off. I purchased it, perhaps prematurely I guess, bummer. Are you able to tell me what is off with this lid?

thanks!

Tyler

Without claiming anything but I would have been wary of buying this one, it just does not look convincing to me that it is all period done, sorry. I hope you either find you were right to buy it or can get a refund.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry. I didn't really pay all that much for it in the grand scheme of things. I am still happy with the look of it, even if it is a post war mock up.

It is still a nice shell, liner and chinstrap at the end of the day

Live and learn!

Tyler

?

Tyler I seen this Mk II on a different venue a week before it was listed on E-Bay there is a reason it was not scooped up right away IMO the wear and patina on the net and scrim is inconsistent with an example that was used in the theater of operations 70 odd years ago .
    Take note that the hessian cover has good sharp cuts and shows no real sign of fraying around the edges and or shows any kind of soiling this alone was enough to turn me off this particular Mk II
    The net would appear to be a US Dennison which is no real concern in it self the fact that all the strings are all intact around the rim and show no signs of fraying and or ware as do any of the strings near the dome of the helmet would as well give me a further reason to be concerned as these are the two main locations on a Mk II that you should really see that it has been used in the field.
    I would fully expect to see a ghost imprint on the Hessian cover from the camo net and a shadow from ware the hessian scrim had been laying on the cover .
    This is only my opinion but I did not add this particular Mk II to my own collection for these reasons.
    IMO the scrimmed net would look right at home on a mid to late war US M-1 C para helmet.

Regards Mark

Thanks Mark. I completely agree with your observations. I will take a closer look at this helmet once received. The seller offers returns, so if I am not satisfied I can return it

Tyler

?

Hi Tyler I actually know the seller from a couple of different forums and from dealings on and off E-Bay.

Regards Mark