Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian WW2 MK2 Helmet. ID Name & Numbers on Inside, Period to WW2??

Article about: Hi Folks, On the underside rim of a WW2 Canadian MK2 Helmet (Dated 1941) is hand written "D. Kennedy 48616-H" & "S-6 7/8". The first portion appears to possibly be wr

Default Canadian WW2 MK2 Helmet. ID Name & Numbers on Inside, Period to WW2??

Hi Folks,

On the underside rim of a WW2 Canadian MK2 Helmet (Dated 1941) is hand written "D. Kennedy 48616-H" & "S-6 7/8". The first portion appears to possibly be written in black sharpie. The second portion appears to possibly be written in crayon or grease marker.

Is this info a name & serial number?

I'm hoping to determine if this Identification is period to WW2 & if so - is there a way of researching this individual further from the info provided.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian WW2 MK2 Helmet.  ID Name & Numbers on Inside, Period to WW2??  

Default Re: Canadian WW2 MK2 Helmet. ID Name & Numbers on Inside, Period to WW2??

well for one,they didnt have sharpies in ww ii,,,so i believe it was done much later of course,,,

Default Re: Canadian WW2 MK2 Helmet. ID Name & Numbers on Inside, Period to WW2??

Hi!

Yeah, I did a search for sharpies (name brand) & they weren't around for quite some time after ww2. Did permanent markers exist at all during/prior to WW2? I suppose it could be painted it on, but to me it looks more like permanent marker.

Does anyone know if the serial number looks right for a WW2 Canadian Soldier?

Best Regards,
    Paul

The first permanent markers showed up around 1950, but the vet could have put his number on the helmet sometime after the war. My Grandfathers Mk.II has his name written in permanent marker too. Some of his gear was stolen(misplaced) after the war, and he found it again in the mid 50's. He proceeded to mark everything he had from the war with a marker...but a very fine one. I remember him telling me the story about it.

With your helmet, normally the H would be before the service number, but I don't think it's a big deal. The number is listed in Active force MD 10, No 10 District Depot (Personnel Selection Board). You could try the Legion Last Post list to see if he is there.

Dale

As Dale says, Military District 10 (Manitoba).

This number is in a block assigned to Non-Permanent Active Militia units.

Veterans Affairs in Ottawa might be able to help find your man.

BTW, I have a 1941 helmet with a name and number marked in a similar fashion....fine artist's paint brush. Best way to mark your gear.

Good luck with finding your man.

PG