Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Casualty Service Helmet ~ Opinions Gratefully Received

Article about: I have recently acquired this. The shell is a 1939 JSS and the liner is a 1938 VERO, size 6 3/4. I am unsure about it because I was under the impression that WWII Home Front helmets followed

Default Casualty Service Helmet ~ Opinions Gratefully Received

I have recently acquired this. The shell is a 1939 JSS and the liner is a 1938 VERO, size 6 3/4. I am unsure about it because I was under the impression that WWII Home Front helmets followed a particular marking system and were either black or white. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Casualty Service Helmet ~ Opinions Gratefully Received   Casualty Service Helmet ~ Opinions Gratefully Received  

Casualty Service Helmet ~ Opinions Gratefully Received   Casualty Service Helmet ~ Opinions Gratefully Received  

Casualty Service Helmet ~ Opinions Gratefully Received   Casualty Service Helmet ~ Opinions Gratefully Received  

?

You normally associate red with fire, but I think other ARP/CD units used red too ( but whether these like a lot of ARP markings might have been unofficial). I believe red was discontinued sometime in 1942.
    Quite a rare beast.

Thank you. I am pleased to hear your expert views!

Regards

Martin

?

Martin,
    You are correct that the most ARP or CD helmets conformed to black or white standards. The Casualty Service was made up of a number of different components form First Aid Parties, Stretcher Parties, Ambulance Drivers and Casualty Clearing Stations and others, all with their individual helmet markings.
    So it is unusual to see a helmet marked ‘Casualty Services’ and also a red helmet. This is the only one I’ve seen, I used to keep images of helmets sold on E-bay for reference and have a picture of this same helmet from a few years ago.

This does not mean that it isn’t original, it certainly looks like a great condition, early, originally marked helmet.
    Standards and organizations varied throughout the country depending on population and risk of exposure, and there were many large factories and military installations that had their own ARP organizations, so as with a lot of Home Front helmets it’s almost impossible to know for sure, but this is one I would not be concerned about, it would add to anybody’s collection.
    Steve.

That's the very same helmet and I also keep images from eBay for reference. This was bought from eBay very recently and I think I may have bought quite well.

Regards

Martin

?

Here is a picture of the more standard Casualty Service marked helmet with a CS group.

Steve.

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    Here is a picture of the more standard Casualty Service marked helmet with a CS group.

Steve.

That's the style I'm more used to seeing.