Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Chosin Documentary

Article about: Hello, I just finished watching an excellent documentary on Netflix that may be of interest to collectors. Its called the "Battle of Chosin," a riveting account of courage and endu

?

Default Chosin Documentary

Hello,

I just finished watching an excellent documentary on Netflix that may be of interest to collectors. Its called the "Battle of Chosin," a riveting account of courage and endurance by Marines and soldiers (This documentary was especially interesting to me because my father was in the Korean war, as was my uncle who was a POW). Anyway, there are great detail shots of field equipment, including M1 USMC helmets. I noticed that none of the cammo on the helmets had the globe and anchor stencil. I'm guessing that 1950 was still too early for the introduction of this and that virtually all of the equipment of this sort was WWII surplus?

Tom

I too have just finished Battle of Chosin today. I knew very little about the battle and was impressed with the ground covered by the documentary, which explained the political context of the battle as well as veteran interviews. As you say there are some fantastic sections of footage which really helped to bring a human face to the Marines at Chosin, as well as illustrating the conditions they were fighting in. One scene sticks out in my memory of a group of Marines sat around the fire drying their insoles (apparently the boots they were issued did not vent properly so the sweat froze on their feet), and also a chap sat eating snow. Excellent documentary. Would definitely recommend.

In my Netflix list .......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "