Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Civil defence helmet ?

Article about: Hello, I bought this helmet in my local Oxfam store this Saturday, I think I may be correct in thinking it is ARP/civil defence, it has most of it's black paint intact. the only mark I can s

jwp
    ?

Quote by Harry Davey View Post
    Nice helmet, with an early war mk1 liner, am i correct in there being khaki paint underneath the black? This would suggest being made originally for the army then repainted for civil defence purposes.

Harry
    Hi Harry, the outer surface of the helmet does seem to have a brown/khaki colour where the black has been rubbed but under the rim it seems to have rubbed to bare metal !, the other thing that's confusing me is the liner which is London made has another impressed mark which we think may be an inspectors mark but it is almost the same as the canadian broad arrow but on my liner the head of the arrow is outside the C with a small part of the shaft inside !!.

Hi, bare metal rim is common on these type of helmets standard wear, the stamp does sound like a Canadian C, however that would be very unlikely due to being a civil defence helmet, if you upload a picture i can tell you if i have seen similar.

Cheers
    Harry

?

Hi Harry, From 1938-39 all home front helmets & those used by the ARP were painted khaki green smooth paint, inside & out.
    Then in 39 they went over to black, that's why you see so many ARP helmets with khaki green paint inside & black out.
    It also means finding an original ARP marked helmet still in khaki green very rare.
    Army helmets from 38-41 were painted khaki green smooth inside but textured outside, the C^ on the liners is the quality control/ acceptance stamp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HELMET BANK 5 086_1600x1200.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	708771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HELMET BANK 5 055_1400x1050.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	708772  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HELMET BANK 834_1280x960.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	708773  

jwp
    ?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi Harry, From 1938-39 all home front helmets & those used by the ARP were painted khaki green smooth paint, inside & out.
    Then in 39 they went over to black, that's why you see so many ARP helmets with khaki green paint inside & black out.
    It also means finding an original ARP marked helmet still in khaki green very rare.
    Army helmets from 38-41 were painted khaki green smooth inside but textured outside, the C^ on the liners is the quality control/ acceptance stamp.

many thanks both, that is the mark on my liner, mystery solved !,
    Cheers, John.

Hi thanks, never knew they did civil defence helmets in khaki first, although now that you mention it i do recall seeing AFS helmets in khaki.

cheers

Harry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12