Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Civil defence helmet ?

Article about: Hello, I bought this helmet in my local Oxfam store this Saturday, I think I may be correct in thinking it is ARP/civil defence, it has most of it's black paint intact. the only mark I can s

jwp
    ?

Default Civil defence helmet ?

Hello, I bought this helmet in my local Oxfam store this Saturday, I think I may be correct in thinking it is ARP/civil defence, it has most of it's black paint intact. the only mark I can see on the shell is possibly an L (size ?), the liner is marked 6 3/4 vero 1939, sorry not great pics, the only thing missing is a D ring from the chin strap, there seems to be the name Barnes on the strap (the owner ?), I paid £40 gbp for it, is this an ok price ?, I don't mind paying a little more from a charity shop as its for a good cause !,
    cheers,
    John.Civil defence helmet ?Civil defence helmet ?Civil defence helmet ?Civil defence helmet ?Civil defence helmet ?Civil defence helmet ?Civil defence helmet ?

?

A nice clean home front helmet as used by the ARP & others. The L will be for something else as these only came in one size, the date maker name will probably be by the chin strap lug, or under it.
    The price paid is top end price, but still ok.

jwp
    ?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    A nice clean home front helmet as used by the ARP & others. The L will be for something else as these only came in one size, the date maker name will probably be by the chin strap lug, or under it.
    The price paid is top end price, but still ok.
    many thanks !,
    john.

A good pick up John though a bit top end on the price but if for charity not a bad thing then.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

jwp
    ?

Is it possible to buy a replacement D ring on its own or will I have to buy a repro strap and remove one ?,
    john.

?

You will have to buy another strap, probably be about £10, try & get a slightly worn one to go with your 70+ year old helmet.

jwp
    ?

Not been able to find any markings on the helmet shell, have identified the Vero on the liner as Everett.W.Vero & Co London. but just noticed another faint impressed mark on the liner which appears to be a capital G or C with an arrow coming out of the top ?

Probably an inspectors mark by the sound of it John.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

jwp
    ?

Quote by Anon View Post
    Probably an inspectors mark by the sound of it John.
    Thanks for that Jerry.

Nice helmet, with an early war mk1 liner, am i correct in there being khaki paint underneath the black? This would suggest being made originally for the army then repainted for civil defence purposes.

Harry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast