Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET

Article about: Got this SFP ( supplementary fire parties ) marked CPH which in it's own right is quite nice with for me a new type of chin strap that I have'nt seen before on these helmets, but I think I'v

?

H Ltd 1941
    Attached Images Attached Images The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET 

very nice examples of the civilian protective helmet Aaron and thanks for elevating an interest in what is a very overlooked homefront helmet genre

SMP
    ?

Sorry if this has already been answered ....... but what are the two holes in the brim ( front and back) used for ?

?

Our mutual friend said they were for transporting, tying ten or so together, the liners were fitted at a later date.

SMP
    ?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Our mutual friend said they were for transporting, tying ten or so together, the liners were fitted at a later date.
    Was that speculation or fact ?

?

Well he has a lot of information about them, so I guess fact.

I have certainly been told of discoveries of stacks of these helmets, left over from the war, rotting and rusty, still bundled together with wire though the holes for ease of handling. Mind you I have yet to see a picture of this, so there is some cause for doubt. Then again, all this was done on the cheap - no chinstrap and so on - so maybe a actual box would have been more expensive and resource-hungry than a piece of wire. Who knows (well, I know who might but he's not telling).

?

An CPH dated December 1940 & made by Presses Steel Co. one of the first ones made.
    So that's at least two makers for 12/1940 PSC & AMC.
    The vast majority of these helmets are dated 1941, with some being made up to at least Feb 1942.
    The shell is a large size, so the lining will be 7 1/4, 7 1/2, 7 3/4, there is a small ink stamp which unfortunately is not readable.
    As was the case with these helmets the chin strap is home made, as they came without chin straps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET   The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET  

The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET   The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET  

The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET  

this one has real character Aaron ,i can see why it caught your eye ,home made or not the chinstrap certainly does the job well done on a nice find ,thanks james

Very nice Aaron and thanks for posting it

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast