Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Converted DR Helmet?

Article about: This is for sale on eBay. What I think it is, is a Canadian DR helmet converted to para spec by the Canadian military due to shortages. However, it is a private listing, so it could be a con

?

Default Converted DR Helmet?

This is for sale on eBay. What I think it is, is a Canadian DR helmet converted to para spec by the Canadian military due to shortages. However, it is a private listing, so it could be a concocted one. If it is a military conversion, it must be rare?
    Any thoughts appreciated.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Converted DR Helmet?   Converted DR Helmet?  

Converted DR Helmet?   Converted DR Helmet?  

Converted DR Helmet?  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Default Re: Converted DR Helmet?

Hi Andy,
    I know very little about Canadian Para Helmets,but in case you dont know the Liner was made by Backstay Standard who produced 4000 fibre helmets in 1944.
    Hope this is little bit of help.
    Mick

Here is a pic from Roger Lucy's TIN LIDS which looks like it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Converted DR Helmet?  

?

Thanks for the info Mick. I dont know much about these either, in fact until I saw this one and did a little research, I didn't know they existed. I do note however, that the seller in this case has the straps and the net "strategically" placed to avoid a positive ID. Maybe he knows it's a postwar conversion? Perish the thought.
    Info is quite scarce on these, but there is a little here.

RCSigs.ca - RC Sigs Militaria Site - Despatch Rider's Helmets

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

The Canadians did convert a lot of DR helmets British & Canadian post war during the early 50's due to a lack of para helmets. They were used back to front, with the thick padding on the front of a DR helmet being used at the back of the neck.
    This helmet might just be a WW2 dated BS made leather liner onto some post war para helmet to make it look WW2?

?

The seller has revised the listing. Fair play to him.
    (Quote)

From Roger Lucy (Tin Lids)…

“These helmets were converted from Canadian made war time issue dispatch rider helmets. The conversion was accomplished by removing the leather skirt from the original helmets, cutting off the chinstraps, boring 4 holes in the rim to accommodate a leather Airborne Mk I type harness and adding a top pad. The helmets were worn reversed so that the brow pads of the converted dispatch rider helmets became the neck support for the new airborne helmets. These helmets were used by the Mobile Strike Force (MSF) which was formed to address a perceived threat from the Soviet Union. The MSF was formed in 1951-52 and the conversion helmets were fabricated at the same time. One battalion, the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry was equipped with regularly configured war time manufactured British paratrooper helmets received from the UK. Other units were issued the dispatch rider conversion types.
    Note the Canadian WWII vintage ink inspection stamp (arrow) and the Canadian Lamp Company (C.L./C.) stamp in the metal of the rim. Also note the"BS" (for the Backstay Standard Company) and "1944" date on the liner.”

From Ken Joyce (Into the Maelstrom/Crimson Spearhead)

“The creation of the MSF began in 1948/49 - not in 1951. The SAS Company at Rivers was to assist in the creation/training of this Force. It was originally proposed that one Battalion from each, R22R, RCR and PPCLI be parachute trained. This was never completely realized. However between 1948 and roughly 1955 there was a problem equipping this struggling force. In the late 40's early 50's they wore the converted dispatch riders helmets and also wore surplus WW 2 MK II helmets. This was done until the British began to manufacture the MKII again - I think this was in 1953 or 54 so between 1948 and 1952 they wore what they could scrounge.

The dispatch rider helmet was converted in different ways. Some - one of which I bought at a Neighbourhood Services store - actually had a real wartime para liner with leather harness acquired from the UK. The shell was obvious due to the dispatch liner pins remaining and the C broad arrow ink stamp in the shell. Sometimes the Dispatch liners were not switched around. To date I have seen a dozen of these helmets.”

So it’s not a WWII para lid, but it does have a nice history and is interesting it its own right.

Thank you Roy for all your help.

(End Quote)

Regards,

Andy
    Last edited by aj4010; 12-10-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Thanks for the tip on the reference book, if someone has a spare example they want to sell at a fair price Im interested.

Cheers!
    Mads