Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Defintive Guide for Brodie to ID, US, British, Canadian, Australian and others...

Article about: Hi all, I am new to the forum, but have been reading for a while. I have dug out my childhood collections of helmets and started adding a few new ones.. very addicting..but can someone tell

Default Defintive Guide for Brodie to ID, US, British, Canadian, Australian and others...

Hi all, I am new to the forum, but have been reading for a while. I have dug out my childhood collections of helmets and started adding a few new ones.. very addicting..but can someone tell me a few pointers on the difference between brodies of different nations. reason being I want to have one helmet per nation in my collection, and I cannot tell difference between them.. please help..I will add photos of what i have later..

Default Re: Defintive Guide for Brodie to ID, US, British, Canadian, Australian and others...

Welcome!

Here is a link to all the discussions on the forum about Brodie helemts.

WW2 militaria collectors-War relics forum. Uniforms, Guns, helmets, battlefield archaeology - Search Results

Default Re: Defintive Guide for Brodie to ID, US, British, Canadian, Australian and others...

Brodies are WW1 helmets in my book. Do you collect WW1 or WW2?

WW1 Brodies of UK manufacture are recognisable by the split rivet that attaches the chinstrap D-rings to the shell. The US helmets used pop rivets for this purpose. The UK helmet came in several forms. Experimental Brodies and later the MkI, with and without the rim. There were also a number of "private purchase helmets". The differ in yet other ways.

Great war collection

In WW2 The British used the MkI* (updated WW1 MkI) and the ubiquitious MkII.
    These helmets are marked in the shell by the producers. Sub-standard helmets were marked with a number of holes drilled in the shell near the chinstrap mounts.

Canada produced their own MkII's. These are recognized by the markings in steel and liners. Sometimes the paint job is a give away.

Australia produced it's own helmet. Recognisable by the lack of an added rim.

South Africa produced a helmet much like a MkI*, easily recognised by the three holes in the rear of the shell, for the attachment of a neck flap to protect against sunburn.

I believe Singapore produced helmets as well and maybe India. But I have no knowledge of these lids. Brazil, the Soviet Union and China were also active Brodie clone producers.

After WW2 a number of nations used and produced the MkII in several variations. Active producers were The Netherlands and Belgium. Many, many nations used and refurbished British, Canadian and SA surplus stocks, so you may encounter a very large number of variations. If you want to collect one of each, I wish you a long life and unlimited funds. That would be quite a job!

Have look at Joseba's unequaled site for photographs and info.

PORTADA

Cheers,
    Emile

Hi guys, thanks for your help... I think I got a post war Brodie sold as a war time one. oh well.. that link Aide posted id not work by the way..but I will keep scanning the forums.. whats odd about my mk2is I think it's stamped 1944 on the bale hinge..I added a post with images on the helmets sections of the allies forum.. cheers all