Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Desert Camo

Article about: Andy, Looks cool with the net IMO What a picture, that smle with bayonet !! wow !! Am I correct in thinking Aussie bayonets were longer than standard? I am no expert, Cheers M

?

Default Desert Camo MK2

Desert CamoDesert CamoDesert CamoDesert CamoDesert CamoDesert CamoDesert CamoDesert CamoDesert CamoDesert CamoDesert CamoDesert CamoDesert CamoDesert Camo

Gentlemen, I have come into possession of this item.
    Firstly, I think the net is totally wrong, but, it's been on there a long time. The chinstrap has been in that position so long that it is stuck there. I found dust, bugs and a service number under the disintegrating (it's falling to dust) liner. Smooth green paint inside the shell. The top bolt, and the bottom liner nut seem un-messed with. The paint, I am unsure of.
    You thoughts would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Last edited by aj4010; 01-22-2013 at 05:21 AM.

?

Default Re: Desert Camo MK2

I think the No. is for the Royal army service corps, the net looks like an Indian made one.

Default Re: Desert Camo

I like it, reminds me of one i had, better pictures of the paint would be ideal of course

?

Thanks tinlid, I'm glad you dropped by.
    That net seems to be almost woolen in construction, it was tied by someone who knew what he was doing, it's very tight and secure. Do you think there is a possibility it may be original? I have my doubts. Any thoughts on the paint?

Desert CamoDesert Camo

Best Regards

Andy

?

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    I like it, reminds me of one i had, better pictures of the paint would be ideal of course

Ok!!

These will enlarge very well.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Desert Camo   Desert Camo  

Desert Camo   Desert Camo  

?

Both helmet & net could be WW2 but maybe not both together since the war, 9 times out of ten you see a shadow where the net has rubbed over the paint to leave an imprint. Or where the net touches the rim cuts into the net,the paint does'nt look that old, a bit hard to tell really.
    Here's some pics of nets that have been on 60-70 years, note wear around rim, plus also the shadow/imprint left by the net on the paint.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Desert Camo   Desert Camo  

Desert Camo   Desert Camo  

?

Thanks tinlid. I didn't have a great feeling about the net when I first handled it. I believe this type would have been worn by desert troops, if I understand correctly. Probably collector added then.
    This was an ebay purchase, I happened to be browsing newly listed and this showed up. It was a poor photo, (to be fair, these are difficult to photograph and get the colour right!) so I took a chance on buy it now, I pulled the trigger fast before anyone else and took and had it for a reasonably cheap price for what it is/may be.
    To me, the paint looks OK, (It's not like the factory paint on the South African helmets at all) I'm fairly happy that it's OK, otherwise I think it would have been priced a little higher if it is a fake. However, I posted it here for opinions to be sure.

Best Regards,

Andy

?

Maltese camouflage helmets, that were overpainted green ones have a similar finish, so it could be a field overpaint from Africa/Mediterranean. I like it personally.

Martin

?

Quote by Nitram View Post
    Maltese camouflage helmets, that were overpainted green ones have a similar finish, so it could be a field overpaint from Africa/Mediterranean. I like it personally.

Martin
    Martin, that would be nice, I can see your point. It's the lighter of the colours in the photographs in real life, which would fit.
    This this thing is really difficult to photograph and get the colour correct, as I can only take them indoors at the moment.

Best Regards,

Andy

?

One other question:
    Would you personally display this with, or without the net? I'm thinking without, as it would show more of the paint for better effect.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast