Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Desert camo Mk2?

Article about: Folks, some pics of a recent buy, mainly to bring back a few memories for my grandfather who served in North Africa in the Artillery. He's 95 now and you should of seen the smille on his fac

Default Desert camo Mk2?

Folks, some pics of a recent buy, mainly to bring back a few memories for my grandfather who served in North Africa in the Artillery. He's 95 now and you should of seen the smille on his face when he saw this. Re. the paint, I'm not sure how original it is, but it looks pretty original to me - although unlike others I've seen here, there isnt sand in the paint. So I got in touch with the historian at the Desert Rats association. Interesting response in that time allowing they were painted inside and out, and not always with sand used in the paint athough sand inevitably got on them! So interested to see what others think. I like it anyway.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Desert camo Mk2?   Desert camo Mk2?  

?

Default Re: Desert camo Mk2?

If the paint under the over paint is textured then it might have a chance, but if it's smooth then no. Is that black paint showing on the inside brim or just metal where the paint has been chipped off, if black then not a chance of being a ok. Being painted inside as well as outside for me is not a good sign, but that's just me. Any dates on the shell or liner?

I agree with the points made by tinlid . I cant be certain, but it dosn't look right to me.

The area chipped away underneath was done to reveal some marks but they are very hard to make out. The liner says CCL III 1942. There is black paint under the tan paint, but what does that mean? My understanding is that these helmets were painted in theatre, possibly using vehicle paint. The shell has no holes in the rim and is anti magnetic so that would make it military grade?

Look like a re-painted civilian helmet, possibly fire service, ARP ???

Cheers

Yes, black paint is indicative of a civil defence helmet. Front line Civil defence services received military grade helmets, and various services such as ARP wardens and rescue workers used black helmets.

Ok thanks guys. Ill do some more digging.