Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Desert tommy lid

Article about: I know the Greeks & I think Israel used these helmets post war, so it could be a Greek made liner in what was a WW2 shell. Aaron

Default Desert tommy lid

thought id share the pics of this a ebay purchase as a buy it now 3 holes to the rear genuine thickly painted desert colour paint.No makers mark evident i assume its a British made one as i have a jaeger rand and its well marked.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Desert tommy lid   Desert tommy lid  

?

Default Re: Desert tommy lid

Are there no markings on the internal liner frame, either the front or rear just by the foam rubber crosspiece

I would have assumed it was South African going by the holes?

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I would have assumed it was South African going by the holes?

Cheers, Ade.
    I think the same, the liner is different from the S. African ones, so maybe it was swapped with a British one at some point? I guess that the absence of date and maker mark can be explained due to the thick paint.

Regards, Giorgos

For what I know, no markings are present on the SA made shell; the distinctive features are just the 3 holes and the lateral brim seam (and color); that liner is definitely British, and it should be marked on the paper frame. Also the chin strap is British, late war pattern. South Africa made some 2.900.000 MkII helmets, which were issued also to Indian and British troops operating in North Africa and in Italy, so these liner and chin strap could indicate a British reissue.

?

here's mine - with a twist: beneath NOT on top of the OD paint is a grass-greenish glossy paint - what th'??

also there are NO markings anywhere in the helmet or lining. at all. maybe first a warden's/factory guard's helm dragooned into mil. service and painted over? seems in the event it didn't go abroad. is it in fact wartime or a later euro reissue? has it any value? thanks mates!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Desert tommy lid   Desert tommy lid  

?

Hi,
    Not sure about the liner, it might not be British. Any chance of some pics of the liner & helmet up the other way.
    Aaron

?

more helm pix
    Attached Images Attached Images Desert tommy lid 

?

another
    Attached Images Attached Images Desert tommy lid 

?

Im not too sure about the liner either, its either a completely unissued and stored item or its a modern representation of a british liner, either way i dont think its british, i think im right in saying that all military liners past and present produced in britain were maker marked and dated as per a ministry of defence requirement and i think this was done in order that the batches could be recalled in case of failure

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast