Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Drilled holes on MKII helmets.

Article about: Yes, the holes in the brim signify that the shell is sub-standard. I believe the designations for the shells is Mark II No 2A, 2B, 2C and 2D, being the one, two, three and four hole variety

NCA
    ?

Question Drilled holes on MKII helmets.

Ive noticed on some British mk2 helmets that some have 1, 2, or 3 holes drilled in the brim..Could someone enlighten me as to why exactly?Im sure i saw a thread on here somewhare about it?...
    Does the number of holes have any significance?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Drilled holes on MKII helmets.

Hi NCA,

I have one of these helmets. If I remember correctly, they are a tell-tale sign of lids made in South Africa. The holes were put in so soldiers could attach sun veils to protect from sunburn. I believe they could also attach things like mosquito nets via these holes.

Hope this helps!

This is the only pic of mine that I currently have that shows the holes.

NCA
    ?

Ah, sorry i should have said that the holes are bunched together in groups near to the chinstrap lugs..the three hole version i've seen is in a triangular pattern.

NCA
    ?

Ive just found out that 3 holes in triangular pattern means the lid is made of mild steel.Is that right?
    ...and there is also a 4 hole version!

You've got me stumped now... can you find a picture of an example?

NCA
    ?

Ill sort a picture out later.Its midnight here now.
    Heres the website where i found the info: RJ Militaria - A52 - WW2 1940 dated British MK2 Brodie medics helmet

?

Ok no holes equals suitable for combat use, one hole home use, two holes the next step down, three holes the next step down, four holes even worse.

South African helmets had three holes at the back of the helmet for the attachment of a sun guard, albeit rarely fitted.

Essentially apart from the South African helmet anything with a hole drilled near the attachments is substandard. I have a helmet sent to the Irish army in 1940. It has a hole drilled in the rim, clearly less than first class.

So what were helmets with 3 and 4 holes used for? Bedpans?!

I know that three hole versions were issued for British civil defense, and that these were stamped from magnetic mild steel. Definitely not combat grade.

Here’s a three-hole example that was made up and advertised as a Polish exile forces combat helmet. Some poor uninformed collector paid a tidy sum for this blatant fake on an on line auction.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Drilled holes on MKII helmets.   Drilled holes on MKII helmets.  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast