Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dry Brit MKII liner

Article about: Hello, Is there anything that can be done to remedy a dry, cracked MKII liner? I have one that's in a terrible state and was wondering if anything could be done to soften it up? Tony

?

Default Dry Brit MKII liner

Hello,

Is there anything that can be done to remedy a dry, cracked MKII liner?

I have one that's in a terrible state and was wondering if anything could be done to soften it up?

Tony

?

Hi Tony the only thing I can suggest is a leather softer that we use on are saddles and horse tack it is called coach lean .
    We have had really good luck with it over the years with dried out old leather stirrup's and harnesses I have never tried it on any of my Commonwealth helmet liners before so I really can not say how it would react .

Regards Mark

?

Thanks very much for the prompt reply Mark.

I've had a look for Coach Lean online but haven't found it, is it much the same as other softeners or a more superior brand?

Tony

?

The can I have is probably 40 years old now and was given to me a number of years back by an elderly gent so possibly not even produced anymore I am positive that there is a comparible available at a riding and or horse tack shop.

Regards Mark

NCA
    ?

not sure how well leather softener would work on Rexine (which is manmade)....?

Ko-Cho-Line is the stuff described btw

?

Thanx NCA I had not even noticed the spelling till you brought it up .
    At times Google auto spelling correct can be a real pain in the A$$.

Regards Mark

?

)))))

Thanks to you both.

?

The liners were made from linseed oil based leather cloth, try an small area with the linseed oil & see how it goes.

?

Thanks!

I shall try both suggestions out on a small piece, leave it for a few days and then check the result.

Tony

?

I found a pot of linseed oil at home so tried it out. Although the liner is now a bit better than before it probably needs a little more oil rubbed in. I haven't tried Ko Cho Line yet but if I see some I'll buy a pot to try out.

Tony