Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Estate D-bale

Article about: Hi...I picked up this helmet along with a Luftwaffe helmet in Brussels today...the guy I bought it from cleans out houses in Belgium and doesn't really deal in militaria...the shell is in im

Default Estate D-bale

Hi...I picked up this helmet along with a Luftwaffe helmet in Brussels today...the guy I bought it from cleans out houses in Belgium and doesn't really deal in militaria...the shell is in impeccable condition & stamped 267A...moreover the shell has chinstrap bails that I've never seen before...a friend of mine said D-bales but as I'm no expert on M1s I'd like to ask you guys...the liner is a firestone tire company M1c liner in great condition. The hand painted markings are yellowish instead of white...it's the 508th PIR lighning bolts if I'm not mistaken...Opinions? Anyone
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Estate D-bale   Estate D-bale  

Estate D-bale   Estate D-bale  

Last edited by ajk99US; 08-16-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Hi, I do not collect in this area of helmets , but if what you have there is 100% spot on, then I think you have found a gem! I look forward to hearing the experts opinion. Leon.

sorry mate to be the bearer of bad news
    Leon is correct if it were a good one it would be worth a fortune.
    It looks like one which has been made for re-enactment.
    some points
    firestone didn't make ww2 airborne liners.
    inland and Hawley were the only two manufactures I know of that used OD3 coloured "A" frames.
    the welded feet of the bails on the M2 are all wrong.
    leather airborne chinstraps didn't have stitching around the cup
    sorry these are just a few things that stick out.
    wish it was a good one for you.
    Rod

I respect your opinion...yet there is one or the other thing I don't 100% agree with. I am aware that Hawley, Inland and St.Clair were the only factories to 'factory' produce OD3 colored A frames and that the Firestone tire company didn't 'factory' produce airborne liners...yet there are a number of original US Army field parachute 'Rigger' airborne liners made out of Firestone shells...not factory made in existance...as for the leather chincup it is indeed a replacement put on by the person I purchased it off of...it's for the USN Talker helmet...

Just to further show...the top two are proven originals...now the bottom right one is the one off of the helmet I purchased...opinions are welcome...yet so much of a difference I do not see at first sight...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Estate D-bale  

Any input on the paint job though? 508th PIR?

Sorry not a good one.
    chris

?

There is one other little detail that has not been mentioned here all of the Original M-2 (D Bales) I have ever seen share one characteristic there is a small dimple in the rim between the bales which is not present on your example and the feet on the bales are inconsistant with known originals.

Regards Mark

Now...I see and undoubtably agree...I didn't think of the dimples when I purchased it...possibly the helmet was recently modified for movie prop or reenactment purposes...and put together...I'd then say the paint job is post too??? Because the helmet does not seem to have been repainted though...fakes are getting better so...

Plumbob Chris or Mark K....as for the liner...do you think that it might be a 'rigger' assembled paratrooper liner? The A frames are under the webbing...and the rivets have the 'proper' age to them...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast