Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Farm Fresh Mark I marked 1942 , Mark II ?

Article about: Picked this up last week , had to wash out the hay . It's marked GSW Mark I A P 1942 , I take it is really a mark II . But after cleaning I found it was named in pencil Burgess W.W F36023 ne

CBH
    ?

Default Farm Fresh Mark I marked 1942 , Mark II ?

Picked this up last week , had to wash out the hay . It's marked GSW Mark I A P 1942 , I take it is really a mark II . But after cleaning I found it was named in pencil Burgess W.W F36023 never got a photo of the name . But the story on the ding was that it was hit by a bullet , it's an old ding , what do you guys think ? Or should i just hammer it out ?

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Farm Fresh Mark I marked 1942 , Mark II ?   Farm Fresh Mark I marked 1942 , Mark II ?  

Farm Fresh Mark I marked 1942 , Mark II ?   Farm Fresh Mark I marked 1942 , Mark II ?  

?

Hi Chris IMO it is an impact strike from a round object such as a bat, piece of pipe,steel rod etc... etc ...these were used a lot by kids playing war as to removing the impact strike let me know and I can offer up some advice I have done so twice in the past on two Canadian helmet bodies because they were unique and quite rare and were known to have been damaged by kids at play post war.

Regards Mark

CBH
    ?

Thanks Mark , I bought the Item and not the Story . And didn't know it was named but for 20$ , I figured the parts were worth that , and now with a name I'll keep it together . Please advise me on your style of repair , I have an anvil if that helps . Thanks again .
    Cheers Chris

?

Hi Chris I have been very lucky with removing dents and dings and impact strikes I would put it in a vice to start with between two strip of wood one on either side of the rim while squeezing it this will minimize damage and maring of the paint and steel.
    Once compressed in the vice and flattened you should be able to twist the rim back into it's proper shape or fairly close try and avoid any metal on metal contact place the edge on a solid cut round of fire wood and you should be able to gently relieve more of the ding by using a small block of wood as a drive and tap it with a hammer this process may have to be repeated multiple times very gently to get it back into its proper shape you just got to know when to quite and not go to fast and know when enough is enough.
    BTW the A P steel lot is thought to be the last combat grade helmet body G.S.W. produced in 1942 before switching over to the mild steel variation for the Department of Pensions and Health G.S.W DP&H

Regards Mark

Hi Chris, a great buy for $20, especially being a named helmet. I would give it a light "squeeze" in the vice as advised by Mark as I do not think that is an ordnance strike either, but it does not look to bad now so don't aim for perfection, it may make it look worse. Leon.

?

Is this another mark, or is it just the camera flash?
    Attached Images Attached Images Farm Fresh Mark I marked 1942 , Mark II ? 

CBH
    ?

Quote by TrondK View Post
    Is this another mark, or is it just the camera flash?
    No just surface rust , it's had a hard life , I think it's been in a barn for the last 60/70 years .

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    It's marked GSW Mark I A P 1942 , I take it is really a mark II .

Cheers
    General Steelwares helmets are so marked because the official designation of the helmet body is Body Mk.I for Helmet Steel Mk.II
    Roger

CBH
    ?

Thanks for the extra info , I thought it was strange . Thanks again , been busy lately so i haven't fixed it yet .

Cheers Chris