Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

A few more Home Front Helmets

Article about: Thanks everyone for the encouraging remarks and information – I have really enjoyed taking part in this thread - When I started collecting Home Front items (some 25 years ago), it was largel

?

Default Re: A few more Home Front Helmets

Nice Helmet Nick I have not seen very many of these style of helmets with the rough unfinished rim and I notice there is no top screw for fastening the liner is it riveted or does it have a welded nut on the inside ?

Regards Mark K

?

Hi Mark - I thought it was quite unusual when I first found it, but have seen others since. The liner is secured by a small head brass screw and nut, similar to that on the messenger helmet - It looks to be totally original though.

Very nice helmets! Thanks for showing them.

Regards

?

I have no doubt it is original just noticed a few oddities I am not used to seeing one other question Nick is the helmet taller than say your ARP or W helmet if you were to put them side by side or is it just the way it looks in the photo.

Regards Mark K

?

Very nice helmets ! Keep it up !

Kind regards
    Alex

?

Hi again Mark

No they are both about 12 cm in height - if anything the NFS helmet is a couple of mm lower, probably due to the absence of the rim finisher.

?

Your black wardens one I think was made by E.C&Co Ltd, probably 39 dated.
    The white one with the black band, district warden, paint scheme 42 dated onwards. Shell would be 39 dated onwards, & a very collectable helmet. Your fire guard helmet are not that collectable but to me I like them as they played a massive part in the defence of this country during the war, 40 dated liners are hard to find the majority are 41. AMC is Austin motors Co, but we don't know what FH stand for. They came without chin straps but people made there own & it seems a company made some for these helmets & were called the adjusta pads.
    Your messenger helmet is a MkII No.2 A, 1 hole drilled in the brim to donate helmet only for civilian use, by this date 1941 they started using small screws to fix the liner to save on metal. Thanks for showing the ink stamp on the liner, it only seems that BMB did this.
    Your NFS one is a BMB raw edge only made in 1941, again in line with your MkII No.2A an economy messure made without a rim around the edge of the helmet.
    A fine collection of helmets
    Aaron

Nice lids thanks for showing.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

NCA
    ?

Very nice collection.Thanks for showing.To add to all the info given, your NFS helmet is numbered 13.This is the fire force number for East anglia with the HQ being in Hethersett, Norfolk.I have a nice tunic patch that would go great with that!

[QUOTE=A "Zuckerman" Fire Guard's helmet, Liner dated 1940 with maker "F.H." and shell dated 1941 and maker "A.M.C." - When first purchased, I thought it had been re-painted, but am now convinced it is original, but was surface pitted when originally painted!

What chinstrap should this helmet have?[/QUOTE]

They did not come with chin straps whoever was issued with it or purchased it had to supply their own.

I just noticed Aaron has already told you this sorry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast