Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First M1917A1 'Kelly'

Article about: Hello everyone, Just thought I'd share my most recent addition, a helmet that I'm sure is relatively common over in the USA but here in NZ they seem to be much harder to track down! (this is

?

Default First M1917A1 'Kelly'

Hello everyone,
    Just thought I'd share my most recent addition, a helmet that I'm sure is relatively common over in the USA but here in NZ they seem to be much harder to track down! (this is the first M1917A1 I've seen for sale online in a long while) So I'm pretty stoked to have snagged one, I've had my eye open for a lid like this for a pretty long time now.

I've seen these lid's online often displaying a serial code stamped under the helmet rim, I can just make out an '8' (it's hard to spot in the photo!) and the outlines of other numbers or letters but I couldn't quite read them using a torch. The leather feels pretty good and has a look of wear to it, as does the Chinstrap - which makes me think that it may have seen some service in some form or another. Out of curiosity I did search up the laundry number on US enlistment records and found 3 servicemen who enlisted in 1940 (1941 enlistees would have received the M1 right?) The first two enlisted into the regular army while the third (Harold Carlson) enlisted in the national guard - so if it belonged to any one of those 3 men my gut says it would have been with one of the army guys.

So I'm definitely very happy with this! Fills out my very small US section of my collection a little bit more - almost makes me want to try and track down the various stages of the US military helmet since the M1917 (what an expensive rabbit hole that would be!)

Thanks for reading!

- Findlay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First M1917A1 'Kelly'   First M1917A1 'Kelly'  

First M1917A1 'Kelly'   First M1917A1 'Kelly'  

First M1917A1 'Kelly'  

?

Nothing like finally getting something you have been after for awhile.
    Thanks for showing.

Beautiful McCord Helmet,got to luv the texture on these Pots,well done and like Aaron said very rewarding to finally reach a goal............

Congratulations, that's a fine example too with liner & chinstrap...
    Believe it or not, these are not so easy to find anymore in the US - especially complete ones such as yours...
    Get them while you still can I say...
    cheers, Glenn

Hello Findlay,
    very interesting helmet, in particular I have noticed the shape of the rivets that fasten the chinstrap lugs, they are of a very different shape from those I have always seen on the helmets US M1917, resemble those of the British MK1, but they are still different; even the rough painting seems to me different from that of the common McCord production of late 30s.
    It would be interesting to check the heat stamp to understand in what period the shell was made.
    Below are some examples of rivets.

Regards
    Roberto

M 1917 (WW1)
    First M1917A1 'Kelly'
    M 1917-A1 (McCord )
    First M1917A1 'Kelly'
    British Mk1 (WW1)
    First M1917A1 'Kelly'

?

Thanks for all the replies, definitely feeling satisfied with this one!

Huh that's very interesting OldSteel, where do I find the heatstamp? I'll take a look when I get the chance.

MAP
    ?

Nice pick up. Agree with Glenn. These are harder to find these days. As a kid they were $10 stacked high at the surplus stores....

A basic intro website for Brodie/Kelly helmets

M1917 - The Brodie Helmet and its derivatives

There was a better website but I can't seem to find it now...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi, Findlay
    the heat stamp is positioned under the flap, as you can see in the good site suggested by Michael (MAP).
    If you can further help here are some examples taken on some of my helmets.

Regards
    Roberto

M 1917 (WW1)
    First M1917A1 'Kelly'
    M 1917 A1 (McCord)
    First M1917A1 'Kelly'
    Two British Mk1 example used by US Army
    First M1917A1 'Kelly'First M1917A1 'Kelly'

?

So I had a close look and I can definitely make out what looks to be an 8. I feel like I can see more but I just cant seem to make it out! It also almost looks like there is a little raised patch? it almost looks like some of the worn away stamps I've seen on the inside of German Luftshutze and civil helms.

It's alot easier to see the mark irl but It is still quite hard to see, almost looks like some print on the rim itself too? I dont know, I might be seeing things!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First M1917A1 'Kelly'   First M1917A1 'Kelly'  

Actually it looks like an 8, but it's hard to say it securely; the steel rim welding seems to be already the electrical one with side to side, certainly a characteristic of intewar example, but perhaps already used in the latest WW1 productions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast