Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet Mk III Black painted

Article about: G'day All Here's one I've had for lots of years, liner is 42 dated and I'm 100% sure its been replaced and the chin strap I just replaced with a later type Mk II helmet type. I can't find an

Default Helmet Mk III Black painted

G'day All

Here's one I've had for lots of years, liner is 42 dated and I'm 100% sure its been replaced and the chin strap I just replaced with a later type Mk II helmet type. I can't find any shell maker marks. What's the go with the black paint? (it's a bit dusty)
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: Helmet Mk III Black painted

I'm not sure about the black paint, but I do know a lot of the next model of helmet were painted black at the factory, 1952-ish dates usually. Perhaps this was reissued along the same lines after the war?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    I'm not sure about the black paint, but I do know a lot of the next model of helmet were painted black at the factory, 1952-ish dates usually. Perhaps this was reissued along the same lines after the war?
    Cheers Mate that was quick

No worries, I just happened to refresh the top threads at that moment

I had three MkIII shells that came from Dutch CD stocks. One had a PTT decal on the front. Just a possibility.

Quote by mk1rceme View Post
    I had three MkIII shells that came from Dutch CD stocks. One had a PTT decal on the front. Just a possibility.
    Cheers mk1rceme,
    CD is civil defence yes? and PTT is the Dutch postal service yes?

?

Looks to be a BMB made one which means the date/maker with be vertical to the rim & about in line with the liner probably at the rear. If it was used post war for CD maybe black was a way of showing better who they were than being army colour?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Cheers mk1rceme,
    CD is civil defence yes? and PTT is the Dutch postal service yes?
    Your correct. Guess I should mention that they were all painted black.

I stripped one of them and it still had the original brown paint underneath...with a Canadian service number written on the inside.