Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmet South Saskatchewan Regiment.

Article about: Not my usual part of the forum so would like to say hello. I just picked up from a local auction this 'trench art' helmet for not much money.I apologise that the photo's are not great but am

Default Helmet South Saskatchewan Regiment.

Not my usual part of the forum so would like to say hello.

I just picked up from a local auction this 'trench art' helmet for not much money.I apologise that the photo's are not great but am having problems getting better ones at the moment. The stamp on the helmet is hard to photograph but held at an angle the date of manufacture appears to be 1939 the same date as the liner. Comments would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
    Robin

CBH
    ?

Great helmet, I'm sure you'd get good money for it, if it was sold in Canada. I hope Mark see this one.

Goodness knows how it made its way over to Northern Scotland. I only collected it from the auction house this morning and hope to be able to do a bit of research from the info it contains.

Very nice helmet!

CBH
    ?

Thats the amazing thing about militaria, it finds it's way to and from every corner of the world.
    Please post more images when you get chance.
    Cheers

Will try and post some better ones tomorrow. Its easy to make assumptions, however the auctioneers deal mainly in house clearance items normally after the occupant has dies. The previous owner could possibly have been one named on the helmet as there was and is quite a lot of tooing and froing between Canada and the Scottish Highlands. On a side note as fate would have it I was walking the battlefields in which the SSR gained a number of their battle honours in Normandy only two weeks ago.

CBH
    ?

The South Saskatchewan Regiment was made up of two smaller units , one was The Weyburn Regiment.
    They also were involved with the Dieppe Raid, very nice helmet.

Good find ! Here is a link you will find interesting regarding this helmet and the reason why it would be found in Scotland. Looks like the soldier who painted the lid survived Dieppe , was a POW and made it back home. Enjoy !
    SSR - Nominal Roll

Many thanks for that info. A quick look through the Dieppe roll shows a few, not all of those named on the helmet were at Dieppe. I will have a longer look at the other rolls and see if I can find them all.

Well with many thanks to Jimmy 72 I have from the nominal rolls been able to piece together the history of those on the helmet.

Nominal Roll shows them all as belonging to HQ company,

Sharp, Dougall, Martindale, Talkingdale and Deak moved from Weyburn to camp Shilo on 27/05/1940
    Isacc, Berry, Linton, Daigle, Lafontaine, Edmundson and Richmond moved from Regina to camp Shilo the same day.

McNally, Dougall, Martindale, Linton, Daigle, Lafontaine, Edmundson, Richmond, Talkington and Deak sailed from Toronto to the UK on 13/12/1940. Travelling on the ship Penland and arriving at Gourock, Scotland.

Isacc, Berry, Martindale, Watt, Linton, Richmond and Deak took part in the Dieppe raid.

Isacc (wounded), Watt (wounded), Linton and Richmond made it back to UK.

Berry, Martindale and Deak (wounded) became POW's.

Isacc, Linton, Daigle returned to France on 8 June 1944 landing in Normandy.

Linton shown as a Private on the helmet by 1945 had been promoted to CSM.

Comparing the helmet with details on the nominal roles and taking into account when all these soldiers would have been together. Also considering their changes in rank on promotion and dispersal following the Dieppe raid I would consider that in all likely hood the artwork dates between the end of 1940 to before the Dieppe raid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast