Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with British WW2 helmet sizing

Article about: Hello. I'm new to the forum. I'm considering buying a british helmet dated 1942 but I'm not sure of its size. I will be asking the owner to check for me but I wanted to know if someone could

Default Help with British WW2 helmet sizing

Hello.
    I'm new to the forum.
    I'm considering buying a british helmet dated 1942 but I'm not sure of its size. I will be asking the owner to check for me but I wanted to know if someone could tell me what size marking to look for as well as what would be a good average size that would likely fit an average size adult male. I don't want to buy it if it won't fit me.
    Any other basic marking info would also be appreciated.
    Thanks a lot for any help.
    Regards
    Peter

OKW
    ?

Default Re: Help with British WW2 helmet sizing

i believe that unlike German helmets one size fits all, adjustment of the liner ties to accomodate variations in head sizes.

tommy helmets are pritty much as stated one size fits all (well ive only come across one size ) as for the airborne and dispatch rider helmets do come in different sizes the best thing to do is measure your head with a cloth tape measure and get him to do the same with the helmet as for things to look for, all liners are dated and should have a broad arrow and a makers name some times you get the WD marks aswell

Hi guys
    Thanks for the replies.
    The owner has told me that he has looked closely and found no markings on the liner.
    The markings stamped on the helmet rim are C.L./C. 1942 97

Would anyone recognize the maker code?
    Also, would anyone hazard a guess why there would be no markings on the liner. I think the liner is original.

hi do youhave any pics of the liner if its british it should be marked on one of cross sections that make up the inner part of the liner if not does it look like this one british liners in the tommy helmets are all the same as this
    Attached Images Attached Images Help with British WW2 helmet sizing 

?

hi, i think it is a canadian helmet, canadian lamp company. the 78 is the batch number. i would say a size 7- 7 1/2 should fit most people.

I think you will find this Spanish website of interest and help. I have included a translated link into English for you:

Google Translate

Cheers, Ade.

This might be of help. It is a file of the Yahoo helmetcollectors club.

British US European
    6 5/8-----6 3/4------54
    6 3/4 6 7/8 55
    6 7/8 7 56
    7 7 1/8 57
    7 1/8 7 1/4 58
    7 1/4 7 3/8 59
    7 3/8 7 1/2 60
    7 1/2 7 5/8 61
    7 5/8 7 3/4 62
    7 3/4 7 7/8 63
    7 7/8 8 64

Thank you Adrien, for that link. I'll check it out. Thank you all for your thoughts. It does seem like it is a Canadian helmet.

most MKII helmets are always too small, I have only found one MKII helmet that would fit me, most of the helmets I find are size 7 or smaller

good sizes to fit an average American would be around size 7 1/2" - 7 5/8"

anything smaller than 7 1/2 is too small for most people

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast