Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help finding a British helmet

Article about: Hey, I am new to collecting and want to start off with a British helmet as they are not as expensive as the German ones. I have looked at a few on Graham Currie's Militaria site, but I quite

Default Help finding a British helmet

Hey, I am new to collecting and want to start off with a British helmet as they are not as expensive as the German ones. I have looked at a few on Graham Currie's Militaria site, but I quite frankly have no idea what I am looking at and which websites to trust. Could any of you help me?

Thanks,
    Ron.

SMP
    ?

Member "Tinlid" has a website : http://www.ww2britishhelmets.co.uk/

Might be worth a look

Thanks for the help. Do you know of any other trusted sites just to get a look please?

?

JC militaria have a few nice helmets

Steve always has a a few for sale

Britton at War
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

If you want a good basic intact Mk2, 3, 4 or 5 then you need go no further than Ebay. always lots available but do your research first so you know what you're looking for. Steer clear of anything with unusual and 'rare' paint schemes or insignia, as they are the ones likely to be faked or otherwise 'improved'. Remember that these helmets were in service for several decades so will have varying paint-schemes and fittings - dates of liner will not necessarily match date of shell, for example. Decide what you are looking for first - a good example of a service helmet or a helmet that is absolutely specific to a particular period.

It is unfortunate that there is no book that gives comprehensive information on British helmets (and not likely to be either) but for good information try The Brodie Helmet and its derivatives - The Brodie Helmet Reference Website and MKII Components and .: World War Helmets - Angleterre :. as well checking the web generally and the sites previously mentioned here.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Agreed with all........there's a whole host of good sellers out there but sadly also some not so good -there's a long running post on this forum re supposed EBay Fakers - it's certainly worth a look. As Greg says, the amount of markings/rank etc is sadly inversely proportionately to the likelihood of it being original.

I'm not sure if you're looking for Military or Home Front Brit lids.......I'd advise you to go with Home Front......but I would wouldn't I?!

Re books, there ARE some in production......but holding your breath for immediate publication would be unwise.....

Welcome aboard...and don't feel intimidated but the super-rich TR collectors......most of 'em are fake anyway....... (they'll hate that!). :-)

SMP
    ?

Another reliable dealer: CS Militaria

?

Just the one WWII British army helmet? That's all I wanted too until I found out about the variations like MKI*, MKII, MKIII and the varying colours as well. I bet you end up with more than one example

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast