Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Identifying Brodie Helmet

Article about: Hello all, I recently picked up a Brodie Helmet at a surplus store and would appreciate it if anyone here could identify it. The store owner claimed it was an American helmet, but after doin

Default Help Identifying Brodie Helmet

Hello all, I recently picked up a Brodie Helmet at a surplus store and would appreciate it if anyone here could identify it.

The store owner claimed it was an American helmet, but after doing some quick searches here on the forum the liner (whats left of it) looks like a British WWII era Brodie. But I just wanted to confirm with the experts here.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Help Identifying Brodie Helmet

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I can confirm that you are correct, British WW2.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

A post 1939 dated British Mk2, have a look around the chin strap lugs for a date/maker name. Also on the remains of the liner there should also be a date/maker name.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Identifying Brodie Helmet   Help Identifying Brodie Helmet  

Thank you both for the reply and confirmation. Unfortunately this helmet is in such bad shape and rusted that I can't make out any markings.

For something in this condition would you recommend I keep it as is and seal it with the wax furniture polish treatment to prevent further rusting? Or seal it with a primer then apply a coating of spray paint to it to give it a more restored look?

Quote by homerj109 View Post
    Thank you both for the reply and confirmation. Unfortunately this helmet is in such bad shape and rusted that I can't make out any markings.

For something in this condition would you recommend I keep it as is and seal it with the wax furniture polish treatment to prevent further rusting? Or seal it with a primer then apply a coating of spray paint to it to give it a more restored look?
    I doubt it will get any worse best to just leave it as is.

?

what ever you dont repaint it ,it is what it is an honest albeit a relic condition mk II .Any type of restoration will destroy its history

Willdo, it looks pretty good where it is now, all I did was spray it down with WD40 and use a soft toothbrush to lift off surface rust, dirt, and grime. Then I coated it with some shoe polish to seal it against further rusting.

?

Glad to hear you won't repaint it, it is what it is, and it ain't that bad.
    Original british helmet.

Brad.

I was still looking for a WWI/MK1 style Brodie so I picked up another. This one is in better shape and there is still some paint left, any stampings are rusted over though.

I would appreciate identification of this helmet, thanks.

The only marking I could find was the following on each of the four spokes of the helmet liner:

"PAT 534207"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast