Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identifying Colour on a MkI helmet.

Article about: I picked up this MkI yesterday and am trying to figure out the colour it has been repainted. I did post pictures on the WW1 forum here but didn't ask about colours since it reminds me of a W

?

Default Help Identifying Colour on a MkI helmet.

I picked up this MkI yesterday and am trying to figure out the colour it has been repainted. I did post pictures on the WW1 forum here but didn't ask about colours since it reminds me of a WW2 early war green so I figured it would be better to ask here. It has clearly been repainted since you can see a flash under the paint, brush strokes can be seen from either the original WW1 paint or the repaint (I am not sure which) I can see black stacking rings on the paint which makes me believe it wasn't painted as a prop (the liner and strap could very likely be done as a prop but they are old). In artificial light it looks to be green in bright natural light it looks to be more brown. I am including pictures of both lighting (sorry it was a bright day), I haven't had a chance to take pictures in a overcast light yet. If any further pictures are required please just ask. (first 3 are outside pictures, last 4 are with a light box). Thanks for your help in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Identifying Colour on a MkI helmet.   Help Identifying Colour on a MkI helmet.  

Help Identifying Colour on a MkI helmet.   Help Identifying Colour on a MkI helmet.  

Help Identifying Colour on a MkI helmet.   Help Identifying Colour on a MkI helmet.  

Help Identifying Colour on a MkI helmet.  

it does seem to have been restored more recently than WWI.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I agree with Jerry, I add that the flash under the paint seems to be an "arrow in a rectangle"; this suggests that it may have been used by a soldier from a Canadian Army machine gun battalion during WW1.
    As you can see in this link:
    Index CEF Helmets

Regards
    Roberto
    Last edited by OldSteel; 06-10-2018 at 05:22 PM. Reason: add info

?

I had a chance to look at this in helmet in overcast and compared it to a few helmets I own and found that the paint looks almost identical to my 1939 made Home Guard helmet. I also tried a stripper that will remove acrylic paints but doesn't harm oil based paints and nothing came off in the places I tested. Home guard refurbished maybe?