Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying this helmet please

Article about: Hi, I'm new here and could do with some help. I was given this steel helmet as a boy about 25 years ago to play in the woods with. It was far too big for me and never got used but it has fol

FIVEO
    ?

Default Help identifying this helmet please

Hi, I'm new here and could do with some help. I was given this steel helmet as a boy about 25 years ago to play in the woods with. It was far too big for me and never got used but it has followed me about and pretty much forgotten about in the loft. I was having a clear out and found it under a load of other stuff. I was wondering what it was and what era it is. I think i have narrowed it down to a British tankers helmet but there is no date stamped anywhere. Any ideas?

Help identifying this helmet pleaseHelp identifying this helmet pleaseHelp identifying this helmet pleaseHelp identifying this helmet pleaseHelp identifying this helmet please

?

Looks like a tankers helmet to me.

Welcolm to the forum

Dean O
    Canada

The Liner is for a WWII/P-1944 British MkIV Turtle-Shell Helmet...The Shell appears to be British as well, but I'm not too familiar with UK Lids...I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable will be along to help you with better info, friend...
    Welcome to the Forum..
    Glenn

It is a definately British, definately an Armoured Troops (tanks, recon troops etc) helmet (though also used by the Royal Navy and a variety of other formations) and it is the second version of this particular type, having the Lift-The-Dot liner fixing instead of the simple nut&bolt fixture of the earlier model. Mk2 shells are distinct because they have the LTD pylon in the interior crown of the shell and a dimple in the outside of the crown where the LTD pylon is fixed. the Mk1 is essentially identical except for the liner fixing system.

Could have been made anywhere from the late war (WW2 I mean) period to some time in the 1950s. Note that liner may not necessarily be the one originally fitted, as they were replaced when unusuable. This makes dating a little difficult as liners are often dated but shells rarely (or not at all?).

FIVEO
    ?

Many thanks for all of your help. It would have been nice if it could be confirmed as WW2 but I guess we will never know.

?

Even if produced in early 1945, very doubtful it saw service before the war ended.