Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?

Article about: I recently picked up a nice WW2, M1, front seemed fixed bale helmet. The seller said the 2 white crosses were already on the helmet when he got it and didn't know if it was a chaplain, medic

?

Default Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?

I recently picked up a nice WW2, M1, front seemed fixed bale helmet. The seller said the 2 white crosses were already on the helmet when he got it and didn't know if it was a chaplain, medic's , corpsman helmet or what. The vinyl type electrical or medical white tape seems to have been on the helmet a long time.
    I realize most chaplain crosses are painted on... and it is more of a medic's cross. I also thought it is pretty odd to have a very low heat stamp number. I could not see any other numbers or letters before or after the #42. (unless it was manufactured by an small or obscure manufacturer?)
    Anyway..I would like to throw this out for discussion. Chaplain, Corpsman, medic.. original, post war applied?
    Any thoughts, guesses, insight knowledge, experience etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?Help with M1 Helmet, Chaplain, Corpsman, Medic?

?

Looks to have been repainted at least once and the tape looks like modern thermoplastic white electrical phase tape, I would say post war at any rate.

now i have often wounded if these ww2 shells were repainted in the 50s this darker green you see a lot during the Korean war.
    as for the tape could have been applied for any reason in this helmets journey.

?

Thanks for your thoughts.

MAP
    ?

I agree with John. Very modern tape.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)