Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help me review this helmet before purchase (M1 Fixed Bail Front Seam)

Article about: Once again I have another helmet I am looking at and I would appreciate if you could look it over and tell me if the liner looks WWII original. The helmet is fixed bail and the seller said t

Default Please help me review this helmet before purchase (M1 Fixed Bail Front Seam)

Once again I have another helmet I am looking at and I would appreciate if you could look it over and tell me if the liner looks WWII original. The helmet is fixed bail and the seller said that the netting is original with the helmet. He got this at an estate sale and cannot untie the netting since they are in tight knots. I don't know much about WWII period liners so your expertise is very helpful. Also what would be a fair price for this helmet?

Thanks,

Alec
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help me review this helmet before purchase (M1 Fixed Bail Front Seam)   Help me review this helmet before purchase (M1 Fixed Bail Front Seam)  

Help me review this helmet before purchase (M1 Fixed Bail Front Seam)   Help me review this helmet before purchase (M1 Fixed Bail Front Seam)  

Help me review this helmet before purchase (M1 Fixed Bail Front Seam)   Help me review this helmet before purchase (M1 Fixed Bail Front Seam)  

Last edited by thefight; 07-28-2011 at 02:56 AM.

?

Default Re: Help me review this helmet before purchase (M1 Fixed Bail Front Seam)

images are not coming up for me, did u use the site uploader??

Default Re: Help me review this helmet before purchase (M1 Fixed Bail Front Seam)

Sorry I did not, I have been having trouble with the uploader. I have redone it now through the uploader and it should work now.

Alec

Chin straps on the shell are wrong. The netting is british. Liner looks like a paratrooper would be better to see it out of the shell.

Thanks Zemog, I have asked to see the shell separate but he was afraid he would destroy the netting in the process. Would it be worthwhile to even make an offer?

Alec

The shell is WW2 if the bales are fixed, but the chin straps look like some Euro clone or a homemade attempt to attach them to the bales with the overly large and shiny snaps. The arrow catch looks off too. The liner looks like the version that was produced from the mid-50's to early 60's. Similar to the WW2 cousin, but the webbing was changed from the HBT webbing to a cotton tape and the eyelet was removed. It is an airborne liner , with the yokes and female snaps in the side. Which the helmets chinstraps are missing the addition tabs with the male snaps. I don't think your seller knows what he is talking about, or is hoping to pull one over. Price wise, it is all subjective to what a buyer is willing to fork over. For a frankenstein lid like this, I would'nt give more than $30 or $40 for it. If at all. Personally, I would wait for something better, especially if it is a original WW2 set up. Hope that helps.

Thank you HoovieDude for the detailed run through. I'm taking notes. This helmet is definitely not what I am interested in. Once again I appreciate the help!

Alec

My pleasure Alec.