Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed: Identifying a US Civil Defense Helmet

Article about: Hi everyone, came across this original ww2 US Civil Defense helmet with red cross markings. Does anyone know who used this helmet: Red Cross? Medical Corps? Civil Medics? Am attaching the ph

Question Help needed: Identifying a US Civil Defense Helmet

Hi everyone, came across this original ww2 US Civil Defense helmet with red cross markings. Does anyone know who used this helmet: Red Cross? Medical Corps? Civil Medics? Am attaching the photos too:Help needed: Identifying a US Civil Defense HelmetHelp needed: Identifying a US Civil Defense HelmetHelp needed: Identifying a US Civil Defense Helmet

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Hi and welcome,WW2 US Civil defence Helmet made by McCords Radiator Corporation,used in all home front services,nice condition too and complete,is it yours?.............

Thanks Jake. Bought this helmet a couple of days ago from a local collector here in Malta. It's a nice example and its condition is quite good too. Thanks for the info by the way. Do you have any idea who used to paint the red cross on such helmets?

No sorry Eric wouldn't have a clue,how did this end up in Malta?being white with a red x has to be something to do with medical services,can't think of anything other than the obvious mate,sorry I can't be of more help.............

Simply have no idea Jake. Lucky me

Those US Civil Defense helmets are quite common in the US, I have seen them sit and sit for $20 with shipping on evil bay (for what thats worth). I’ve got two, one is painted green (as a childs toy i assume) and the other is devoid of any markings.

Still, cool helmet.

Mannie Gentile: Combat Helmets of the 20th Century: United States Civil Defense "OCD" WWII

I’m no expert, and take this with a grain of salt, but IMHO the red cross is a more recent addition.