Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Help with South African Helmet

Article about: Hey guys, Joe (GIZMO8Z) is being generous by sending me this helmet soon, and both him and I wanted to know if the camo on the shell is authentic to the piece or not. Thanks! EDIT I was just

Default Help with South African Helmet

Hey guys, Joe (GIZMO8Z) is being generous by sending me this helmet soon, and both him and I wanted to know if the camo on the shell is authentic to the piece or not. Thanks!

EDIT
    I was just told the liner is marked 7 FFL II 1944. Not sure if this is of any use but you never know.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with South African Helmet   Help with South African Helmet  

Help with South African Helmet  

Default Re: Help with South African Helmet

It's not in the best shape... and the liner is dry and crunchy, but this lid will have a good home with you! It deserves to be displayed, not to sit in storage.

G'Day B.Bop
    I cant tell you if the camo is period or not,but it looks like a nice lid.
    With a 1944 F&L liner,it may have been reissued using old stock of SA helmets sent to Britain early in the War (the camo could have been painted then)
    Pure speculation though
    Interesting,it look like the back hole hasnt been punched out properly.
    Like i said,a good lid
    Mick

nice lid im sure this is a british mk1 designated the mk11 in SA service they were usually painted an overall sand colour the 3 holes on the rear brim are for a neck curtain the examples i have seen seem to have a felt crown pad hope this helps a little ,james

Quote by aussie mick View Post
    G'Day B.Bop
    I cant tell you if the camo is period or not,but it looks like a nice lid.
    With a 1944 F&L liner,it may have been reissued using old stock of SA helmets sent to Britain early in the War (the camo could have been painted then)
    Pure speculation though
    Interesting,it look like the back hole hasnt been punched out properly.
    Like i said,a good lid
    Mick
    You're right about the center back hole... it didn't punch all the way thru.

?

There seems to be quite a few of these S.A. helmets with British liners in & they mostly seem to be 44 dated. So whether this was done at wars end or post war I'm not sure, probably were refurbed & sold on to European & other Countries.