Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Home Guard ?

Article about: This lid was given to me a couple of years ago, unfortunately it has no liner and the stamps are completely illedgible even though it is almost rust free. I had a look at it before I gave it

hog
    ?

Default Home Guard ?

This lid was given to me a couple of years ago, unfortunately it has no liner and the stamps are completely illedgible even though it is almost rust free.
    I had a look at it before I gave it a light clean and could just about make out the word Police on the front, it went after my light clean to get rid of a light rust coating (stupid of me I know.)

With that stencilled writing on the front, it would have been worn by police officers during air raids or rescue operations. If that is the case, it will have originally been painted in a shade of dark blue.

Home Guard helmets were painted green or brown, similar to Army helmets, and usually had holes drilled into the rim to indicate an inferior quality of steel used in their manufacture.

Regards, B.B.

hog
    ?

Thank you for that, pity the writing was not bolder.

...are there concentric rings/marks in the inner surface?...is it flat at the top? was the "POLICE" wording the classic "POLICE" stencil or otherwise?

hog
    ?

I do not see any concentric circles and the word police was done in what could have been white, not your typical stencil print but neat non the less.

Thanks....I was wondering if it was our old friend the nearly-round commercial alloy flat-top Mk2...perhaps not....