Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

How do I age a liner chinstrap?

Article about: In another thread I posted about my m1 helmet, someone suggested I buy a liner chinstrap, and I did, however, I was wondering how I would go about aging it to make it look the part of a 65 y

Default How do I age a liner chinstrap?

In another thread I posted about my m1 helmet, someone suggested I buy a liner chinstrap, and I did, however, I was wondering how I would go about aging it to make it look the part of a 65 year old helmet. Any help would be nice! Thanks!

Default Re: How do I age a liner chinstrap?

you could try using extra fine sand paper and lightly scuffing it around the edges to simulate wear spots

also bend it and try to soften it up so it's not so stiff and shows a few wrinkles

maybe get it wet and allow it to mold to the shape of the helmet so it looks like it's been on the helmet for a long time.

rub some dirt & mud on it so it looks dirty then wipe it off leaving some dirt residue on it

Hello mate
    "Sadle Wax" mixed with a little brown boot polish makes a fantastic ager! Try it on another piece first to get the shade right & when still drying, screw it up a bit to get age lines

Best way to soften it is to rub a bar of soap into/onto it. Slightly dampen the soap before applying it. Stewy S

Try a Equine Saddle treatment "Saddle Soap" mixed with common Tea. The result will be a darkening and softening of the leather. the tea will impregnate the edges and take the "newness" out of the unglazed leather.

So far, I got a metal file and filed some of the paint off of the metal part and added scratches, then I filed some of the brown part of the leather off of the edges, now I am soaking it in tea overnight to see if that does anything, maybe longer if necessary. I'm thinking about adding dirt to it or sunbathing it, although my forethought is that sunbathing it would make it lighter, but I'm not sure. Also, I was wondering, if I were to add soap to make it softer, would I do that while it is wet, or after?

here's a weathered strap for reference, so you can get an idea how an aged one might look on your helmet, notice the leather looks kind of faded and the buckle has greenish color from aged brass.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How do I age a liner chinstrap?  

These suggestions worked like a charm, thank you, it looks old enough to match the helmet now